PDA

View Full Version : need cleanup crew recs.

hubris007
10/15/2006, 08:47 AM
I've got a fairly new setup full of used sand and old rock. Very light load atm but will be going with sps ultimately.

Current system is 2x90gal with 20gal refugium and 60gal sump. 1 tank currently contains ~150lb live rock, 4inches sand, 1 sebae anemone, 2 percula clowns, 1 blue hippo tang, 1 yellow watchman goby, and a cleaner shrimp.

The other is ~150lb live rock and 4inch sand bed only.

The stocked tank looks great, the "empty" tank is getting some hair. I figure a cleanup crew would probably be a good idea. Anyone have experience ordering these online? Anything to be avoided (horseshoes, cleaner clams, lettuce nudi, orange linckia starfish) due to size and age of system?

Thanks much.

nmprisons
10/15/2006, 10:03 AM
all crabs are opportunistic feeders. i would stay away from mithrix/emerald crabs completely and think long and hard before adding more than a few small hermits. get a variety of snail species in there. nasarius are great for sand stirring.

Ritten
10/15/2006, 11:03 AM
I've had really good luck with the clean up crew packages from www.saltwaterfish.com. I have not had any luck with keeping lettuce nudibrances alive. They slowly starve to death in my tank. I have had a orange linkia for almost three years and just love him. Never had a cleaner clam or horseshoe crab, can't help you there. Love my brittle stars for cleaning up the tank at night. It's important to follow acclimation instructions carefully with any clean up crew. HTH.

hubris007
10/15/2006, 11:28 AM
I was leaning towards saltwaterfish.com's packages. Torn between the janitor and the 150 package.

Ritten
10/15/2006, 01:49 PM
They both look nice, personally, I would go with the janitor.