PDA

View Full Version : heater choice

saxerphoner
10/15/2006, 11:02 AM
Visi-therm deluxe or Visi-therm stealth???

I just got a hydor theo and don't like it because it's not consistent with the temp control at all! So I want to get a visi-therm deluxe but i've found more info on the stealth. What do you guys think?

I know a lot of people like the Jager but the new ones now say that they are not fully submersible but that part of it is supposed to be in the sand or gravel... here's the link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...8&N=2004+113767

If you click on more information it says this:

"Submerse up to "waterline" in vertical position, and make sure part of it is in the aquarium gravel or sand."

and:

"Do not submerse beyond "water line" "

I want a heater that I can put on 78 or 79 and it will keep the tank above 78 or 79 whether or not I want to keep my fan on at night or if we choose to not run the heat on the weekend or something. (hope that wasn't as confusing as it sounds to me)

Anyways, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jake

Slickdonkey
10/15/2006, 11:11 AM
From what I've heard (and this is hearsay that you need to verify), the new Ebo heaters are submersible as long as you're in Europe.

"What?" you ask? Something to do with the proper paperwork and/or permitting process or who knows what in the USA. So for whatever reason it's not "approved" to be completely submerged here in the USA.

My understanding is that it's a beurocratic issue rather than a technical one. IMO, it should not be a problem to put them completely underwater.

ronjeremy
10/15/2006, 11:18 AM
i like Via Aqua titanium heaters...i have 3 of them and i have never had any trouble from them

saxerphoner
10/15/2006, 03:32 PM
If you had to choose between the stealth and the deluxe, which would you choose? Are they basically the same heater with different looks?

justinm0424
10/15/2006, 05:06 PM
I love my won brothers heater. It's all metal and the temp probe is seperate so you can place it far from the heater to for more reliable temp.

rickh
10/15/2006, 08:39 PM
I had a Won Brothers go ballistic and turn my mixing tank into a Jacuzzi. I have both the Stealth and the standard Visa therm. One Stealth went bad and was replaced--no deaths. The Stealth doesn't have a "red Light" to indicate when it's on. The Stealth is in my mixing tank--unbreakable. The Visa therm is in the tank-- easier to set. R

saxerphoner
10/16/2006, 08:26 AM
Thanks!

CeeGee
10/16/2006, 09:19 AM
I run a stealth on a AC Jr.

theop
10/16/2006, 09:28 AM
The Jagers are fully submersible, even if they aren't labeled as such in the U.S.

To address your question, I prefer the stealth. I've had fewer problems with them than the normal visi-therms.