PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Controller/Monitor

Serioussnaps
10/15/2006, 12:58 PM
Hey everyone,

this thread regards exactly what the title implies...

I need a temp. monitor/controller....I have everything else controlled already so I really dont need a controller that controls ph, orp and temp or anything spiffy like that....just a temp controller....I dont run a chiller nor do i need to, but i may run 2 heaters(i only run 1now) so it may be either a one or 2 stage.....money is important too...dont get me wrong i will chunk out the dough for a superior product but money is a factor...

give me some ideas of what products are out there for this purpose...i would like to keep the temp real tight and stable as this is an acro dominated tank so within a fraction of F degree...i definitely dont want it to fluctuate more than a degree as that leaves it open to more than a 3 degree(F) fluctuation

What do you use that is strictly temp monitor/controller? Got any links to good products? Suggestions???!!!!

Thanks everyone

cpatbay
10/15/2006, 01:00 PM
Ranco.

Here is one at ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Ranco-Commercial-Temperature-Control-ETC-111000-NEW_W0QQitemZ320036416454QQihZ011QQcategoryZ53296QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Many other places sell these, too.

theatrus
10/15/2006, 02:02 PM
Neptune System AquaController Jr. Does temperature and a whole lot more.

cpatbay
10/15/2006, 02:03 PM
Netpune ACj is about $280 ...

xtrstangx
10/15/2006, 02:28 PM
Get a RK2. You could sell the rest of your controlling/automation, clean up the system a lot, and you probably won't spend more than $120 total.

Serioussnaps
10/15/2006, 06:49 PM
----AQUACONTROLLER JR...----evidently you didnt actually READ the thread...i dont need anything BUT a temperature controller

I wont sell my controlling/automation...i refuse to sell my nautilus that is my top off unit..it is a refurbished medical pump and IMO there is no better way to do it so with that said i dont really want to sell anything and buy an all in one...because really the all in ones have some weak points

--RANCO----THANKS GONNA LOOK AT THOSE

----RK2???/GOT A LINK...I AM GONNA SEARCH FOR IT BUT I WONT SELL MY OTHER STUFF BECAUSE I GOT IT ALL FOR VERY PARTICULAR REASONS

THANKS FOR THE INPUT EVERYONE....ANYONE ELSE GOT SUGGESTIONS

Serioussnaps
10/15/2006, 06:52 PM
anyone got a temp controller where the differential is LESS THAN 1 degree F....say 1/2 a degree...i want STABILITY at its best...as i said money is a factor but if i can find a superior product that does EXACTLY what i want then money is becomes less important

Serioussnaps
10/15/2006, 06:54 PM
anyone got a temp controller where the differential is LESS THAN 1 degree F....say 1/2 a degree...i want STABILITY at its best...as i said money is a factor but if i can find a superior product that does EXACTLY what i want then money is becomes less important

the RANCO is a 1 degree differential....however is highly cost effective at 50 bucks....lets see what other people have in the way of input on this

smcdonn
10/15/2006, 07:41 PM
Ranco is the only way to go. They are excellent controllers.

cpatbay
10/15/2006, 08:03 PM
Just remember that the tighter you make the differential, the more frequent you will have to turn on/off your chiller. This will wear out your chiller much quicker.

Ken668
10/15/2006, 08:15 PM
He said he doesn't have a chiller. READ PEOPLE!

cpatbay
10/15/2006, 08:16 PM
Then why does he need 0.1 degree differential???

Serioussnaps
10/15/2006, 10:53 PM
i want a .5 degree differential...this is an Acro only display....

a 1 degree differential can still leave the possiblity of a 2 degree temp. fluctuation....say you set it at 78...

it can go from 77 to 79 degrees...this isn't so bad but if i can find one with a 1/2 degree differential then i am only looking at a 1 degree fluctuation at most which is ideal for an Acropora tank

Waxxiemann
10/15/2006, 11:07 PM
I think that these are ncie. They are expensive but they have programmable diffs ect.

I'm going to try the HC150.

http://www.sealifesupply.com/medusa.htm

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/controllers.php?product_ID=ct-mhc150

cpatbay
10/15/2006, 11:09 PM
How are you going to keep a 0.5 differential if you are not running a chiller???

Serioussnaps
10/16/2006, 12:40 AM
Do you really think that the only way to cool water is a chiller?

cpatbay
10/16/2006, 08:16 AM
of course not. But would be nice to know what you have ... an iceburg? the tank is in a fridge? piping arctic water into the tank?

Serioussnaps
10/16/2006, 03:33 PM
no man..i swear....check this out....

if you have a temp controller you set it at 78 degree.....the lights come on and it rises to about 80 degree...the lights go off and the temp drops steadily to 78 degrees and at the point the contoller kicks the heater on to make it stay at 78...its not a hard concept....

most of the heat on my tank comes from lights and pumps ....so when the lights go off the temp drops on its own...i have a large ceiling fan about 5 feet from the top of the tank too which cools it....

its a natural cooling....it cools by not having heat put into it...its call AMBIENT TEMPERATURE...if the temperature in your home is 70 degrees it COOLS the tnak without having a chiller...its really NOT A HARD CONCEPT

a chiller is for people that blast the tank with heat...usually from metal halides..i run t5's for that very reason...to not have a chiller