PDA

View Full Version : Scooter Blennie?

TomDe
10/15/2006, 08:29 PM
I am in the process of planning my upgrade to a 75 reef from my 30 and this time I am smart enough to plan the fish first :cool:

A scooter may not need a big tank but is a fish I have always loved. I love the way they jump from rock to rock. How hard are these little guys to keep alive.

I am really interested to see if anybody gets theirs to eat any prepared food?

I would really appreciate hearing your experiences.

kevin_mic
10/16/2006, 12:22 PM
I had one for about a year and a half or so. It ate frozen at the fish store. Although it did well it seemed to come down with some sort of diesease and died over about 4-5 months

TomDe
10/16/2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the input. So it did eat frozen well though? Did you also have a pod population for it?

I really love this fish but I have heard some say that it is just as difficult to get to eat as a mandarin and some say otherwise. I guess it is one of those things where it depends on the individual fish?

sharkbait993
10/16/2006, 01:14 PM
My scooter B eats pods all day. He also eats frozen brine shrimp. I imagine he will eat live brines as well. I love that guy he is fun to watch. Had him for 2 months and so far so good.

kevin_mic
10/17/2006, 08:50 AM
If you need it to eat frozen in order to live I would not buy one unless you see it eat frozen brine at the fish store. Also if you have other fish in your tank you will have to spot feed it.

Like I said mine ate frozen from the fish store. Over the process of about a week or two I was able to train it to eat from a feeding tube and after that I had no problems feeding it. It ate all the food I would give it.

I also have a spotted manderin that is eating this same way.

As for my pod population, it is low probably due to the dragnets I have had in my tank.

Packdog
10/17/2006, 01:26 PM
I have had a red scooter blennie for about 6 months.

Quite honestly I bought him when I thought my pod population was establishing, and quite frankly it really never did...seems minimal pods are now visible in my tank....I just added a fuge to hopefully remedy this(amongst other things)

Luckily the cute little bugger happily and aggresively eats a small marine pellet "Formula One" (Ocean Marine sytems I think) that has garlic and sinks to the bottom. He usually races my fire and cleaner shrimps to get what the fish miss on the way down. I have tried several flake foods, pellets that are too big, too hard, or float. He loves these and eats them every feeding. I have noticed him getting more plump recently.

I'm sure he finds the occasional pod and I see him grab a flake bit on occasion or even sift the sand once in a while....but seems he loves these pellets.

The red scooter blenny is a great addition to a tank provided you can feed him. I think I got lucky as I don't think he would have survived if left to my pod population.

heap
10/18/2006, 07:39 AM
i've had my scooter for a little over a year, and i've never seen it eat anything besides pods (or whatever the heck he's pecking at the rocks for). i've seen it hover around pellets, frozen mysis, frozen brine, live brine..but i've never seen it actually eat anything shy of pods.

the majority of that time was spent in a 55g tank w/ a 30g refugium and an ample pod population.

if you can support this fish (as others have mentioned, if you see it eating prepared foods, go for it...otherwise, make sure you have a stable pod population before even considering it), it'd be a great addition to a tank...it's like somebody crossed a mudskipper and a hummingbird and set it loose...always entertaining to watch.