PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic and Glass tank?

gruntface
10/15/2006, 09:15 PM
I am in the slow process of designing a 7'x3'x36" or 30" tall aquarium. At this point I am really contemplating the time before I would have to reseal an all glass tank or replace an acrylic tank because it just got to scratched up or old. Because this will be a large tank I really don't want to have to tear it down frequently for maintenance. I want it to be like 15-20 years before I ever had to break it down completely.

Has anyone ever thought about making a tank with glass sides and acrylic top and bottom?

What I'm thinking about is taking an acrylic sheet and routing 1/8"-1/4" deep slots around the edge where the glass sides would set in. I would also do this to another piece of acrylic for the top. In doing this I would think that the groves would act like a brace so that the perpendicular silicone corner joints of the glass sides would be stronger and last longer.

Does doing this make any sense or is it not practical?

I don't want an all acrylic tank because it will be going in a high traffic area where I know people will always be brushing up against it and scratches will be way out of hand.

scaryperson27
10/15/2006, 09:59 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me. This is a new idea though, definitely original. ;)

sounds like you would be a ginny pig if you try it.

If you want to hear about longevity, you might want to talk to PaulB. He has had his tank running for 36 years now.

I think the standard glass tank should hold up for a good twenty years with no problems.

gruntface
10/15/2006, 11:26 PM
TY

Tang Salad
10/15/2006, 11:54 PM
Interesting idea!

How would you join the glass sides to the acrylic top and bottom? Apart from the grooves you cut inrto the acryclic, what would you use to make the seal?

I'm not sure that silicone can bond glass and acrylic together.

gruntface
10/16/2006, 12:06 AM
I was just thinking silicone for the top and bottom also but if that won't work how about epoxy?
Seems like there's an epoxy for everything.

You wont be able to see those joints so it doesn't need to be clear.

gruntface
10/16/2006, 08:26 AM
anyone else?

hllywd
10/16/2006, 12:04 PM
From what I know you'll have trouble with a glass/acrylic seal at some time. I'd be interested to see different information if it's out there...

IME silicone is not good with acrylic.

Tim

eshook
10/16/2006, 04:49 PM
I have been reading people who use a combination of epoxy and silicone.

Do the initial bond with epoxy and then put a healthy bead of silicone over the epoxy (touching both the glass and acrylic)

I'm not sure if it will work for 15 years but it should work for a while (in theory)

Acrylics
10/16/2006, 06:31 PM
It depends on exactly how you design the tank and what you expect the silicone to do. If you want the silicone to act as a structural component (like gass tanks), then it won't work - period. If you design the tank such that the silicone acts as a gasket where water pressure is helping to insure the seal - well that's a whole different story and certain silicones work quite well.

FWIW, 1/8-1/4" grooves are not nearly deep enough for what you are talking about here. Imagine a plywood tank with a glass window, replace the plywood with acrylic, done :)

James

tedu
10/16/2006, 07:59 PM
There's a company here in Houston that does something similar.
They make tanks with a PVC bottom that's been routed to hold the glass.
http://www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com/

gruntface
10/17/2006, 07:56 PM
TY

Paul B
10/21/2006, 06:48 AM
My all glass 6' long tank is about 30 years old. Never leaked and it's still running. PVC is a mistake for longivity. It warps with age and discolors badly. It is also very hard to bind to glass. Glass on glass with silicone is the best thing there is right now.
I would imagine it would last almost forever as silicone doesen't dry out in our normal lifetime.
Paul