PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock placement on a DSB?

MelloYellow
10/16/2006, 02:07 AM
I've heard from some people your rock should be touching the bottom glass of the tank. You're then supposed to fill the sand in around that rock and build up from that. The only problem is....that’s a lot of beautiful LR that you can't even see because it's trapped under a layer of 4-5inches of sand :( Is there any way to help alleviate this? I'd also hate to have an avalanche happen because the rock is on top of the sand! I've heard you can make a sort of grid under the sand out of egg crate and PVC? Or is there any other way I can fix this. Thanks everyone!

Trigeek
10/16/2006, 05:24 AM
I put my LR on the sand, kind of twisted and worked it into the sand. The problem is that it could topple if your flow blows the sand around too much or if you get some fish that will dig underneath the rocks. Some have used larger pvc as a base, or get some cheaper base rock.

Shagsbeard
10/16/2006, 06:12 AM
You can build platforms for your rock out of short pieces of PVC with holes drilled in it for circulation. The point isn't to have your rock dirrectly on the glass, but to have it supported by something solid. Currents and creatures will wash the sand out from under your rocks causing them to sink to a solid support anyway. If you want to raise your rock so that it doesn't sink into the sand, use the pvc trick.

MJAnderson
10/16/2006, 06:40 AM
I bought cheap base rock for the bottom. =) I'll admit it looks a little odd with bare white rock sticking out of the sand in a few places but it will cover soon.