PDA

View Full Version : im lost

tunaluver
10/16/2006, 09:23 AM
i have a 2hp pool pump on my tank and for some reason its putting tons of heat into the water. the wet end is about 6 inches from the motor and the motors fan draws air away from the wet end. i cant figure why its heating the water so much.. making me mad. lost everything in my tank and trying to get it figured out so i dont kill more stuff

Tang Salad
10/16/2006, 09:56 AM
How large is your tank?

Unless it is hundreds or thousands of gallons, then that pump is probably far too large. That's why it's heating the water.

tunaluver
10/16/2006, 10:00 AM
well i have to pump through canister filters and then up from the basement to my display. its a little over 200 gallons but i still dont get the flow i want after i go through the canisters and then up to the tank

Tang Salad
10/16/2006, 10:15 AM
I hate to say it but the pool pump may not be useful. They do add heat to the water, and may not be suitable for saltwater use due to corrodable gaskets and seals.

Do you have any information on the pump, like how many gallons per hour?

tunaluver
10/16/2006, 10:18 AM
i dont know crap about the pump to tell you the truth.. i know the lfs uses the same pump on their display.. although its drving several smaller tanks

Tang Salad
10/16/2006, 10:21 AM
Interesting.

It may be that because you're pumping with a lot of head pressure (from B1 upstairs) you're getting more heat.

Tang Salad
10/16/2006, 10:22 AM
Also, if the pump is old it may have bad bearings or something contributing to the heat.

What brand and model is it? any labels on it?

tunaluver
10/16/2006, 10:29 AM
its a brand new pump. its a century pool/spa pump i believe.. the only labels on it are for wiring

Tang Salad
10/16/2006, 10:31 AM
How is water being fed to the pump?

Is the pump puliing thw water uphill at all, or does the water flow downhill into the pump?

If it's not getting enough water, that would add to the heat.

grahxen
10/16/2006, 10:50 AM
Pool pumps have an external design with a total seperate impellar shaft that is usually 4-6 inches away from the motor itself. The only way i can see it heating the water is the hot air comnig off the motor is blowing right on the pump housing heating it up... I would look for an altertative pump besides a 2hp pool pump to run your tank, 2HP pool pumps push thousands of GPH, way overkill.

Tripspike
10/16/2006, 12:20 PM
It is pretty simple to figure out if the pump is correct fro the application. Find the pump model number and get a pump curve for it.

Trip

tunaluver
10/16/2006, 12:56 PM
the air blows away from the wet end i even set up fans to help get any heat away from the end and its not working. theres like this teflon bushing in the wet end im gonna see if i really need that.. seems like it would just create friction.

Tang Salad
10/16/2006, 07:06 PM
Dude, replace the pump.

Buy a pump like an Iwaki.