PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Cycling Question...help appreciated!!!

kelly630
10/16/2006, 04:40 PM
Okay, here's the deal...

I've got my new tank up and running. It's been running since last Tuesday 10/10 with some sand (not live) and base rock. On Saturday, I added 5lbs of live sand to seed my sand, and about 60-70lbs live rock. I know I need more, and I will add some as I get more moolah!

Yesterday it became very cloudy, and is still very cloudy today. Is it the sand that's being pushed around by the powerhead? Or is it a bacterial bloom? Is this normal? The water was very clear up until I added the live rock. Will it clear up again in a few days, or do I need to do a water change already?

I don't know...

pH is 8.2
Ammonia reads approximately 0.25ppm
Nitrite reads approximately 0.15
Nitrate reads approximately 2.5

I haven't noticed the ammonia spike yet (or the nitrites). Will the ammonia spike, or since there's LR in there, won't it? What's going on???

Thanks in advance for your help! It's appreciated!!!

kiknchikn
10/16/2006, 04:44 PM
My guess is that the cloudiness is likely due to suspended particles from your sand and detritus in the live rock.

The fact that you have ammonia readings at all pretty much means it has "spiked" and you're beginning your cycle.

demonsp
10/16/2006, 04:48 PM
Are you running skimmer and bio filter ? And what if any light source do you have ?

kelly630
10/16/2006, 04:53 PM
Yes, I am running a skimmer and filter bags through the sump. Right now, I only have the VHO's on about 12 hrs per day. I wasn't going to turn the MHs on for a while.

I also have a UV sterilizer, but was told to keep it off until I add fish.

demonsp
10/16/2006, 04:59 PM
OK i think filter bag not good. They capture to many pods. Lights should be no more then 2 or 3 hours at first with time added weekly till full amount. It could be start of algea bloom from to much light.As long as there is no stock things should calm down for you . Let cycle go and tank should clear up good. You can also mix the sand up a little to prevent dead areas. BUT only mix small areas at a time. Your time and patients ( god help my spelling) will be rewarded. :) GL

demonsp
10/16/2006, 05:01 PM
Oh uv sterilizer is good but i hear only 1 time weekly but i would research that more cause im not to sure on excect amount needed. You have great start tho. Have any pics?

kelly630
10/16/2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the advice!

I'm sitting here getting more and more worried about it, though, because it seems to be getting MORE cloudy instead of less cloudy :(

Are algal blooms whitish in color? I thought they'd cast a greenish or brownish hue. This is white. I can barely even see from one end of the tank to the other (the long way).

Should I put some activated carbon in the sump?

As soon as I figure out how to post pics on here, I'll get a few up!! (although right now it's kinda boring...just LR, sand and water).

Patience!!! Aarrghh!! I have none...

demonsp
10/16/2006, 05:23 PM
Carbon cant hurt. You can turn down flow on spray bars and shut down skimmer and filter for 24 hours to help things settle. But im sure with 3 or 4 days wait it will clear up . And i dont think a bloom would be white. I think a high salinity may do this. Which wasnt on your list. Oh yea ne rock would also fog up water a little. I would not be worried. If you used good RO water and keep an eye on levels things will be fine :)

kelly630
10/16/2006, 05:27 PM
Yep, have RO/DI water and just checked the salinity...1.024.

demonsp
10/16/2006, 05:51 PM
Looks good . You will be fine , just turn lights out and STOP looking at empty tank so much. hehe . A reef tank is very rewarding and worthwhile but so darn slow to get going .We all go through this . GL young jedi . :)

bertoni
10/16/2006, 06:29 PM
The tank could be having a bacterial bloom. You could turn on the UV. It's not going to harm anything, and it might kill the bloom. You could also just wait.

kelly630
10/16/2006, 06:49 PM
I think I'll wait it out a few more days and see what happens!

I was talking to my hubby about algal blooms versus bacterial blooms (I guess it's the bio tch in me) and he said, "Algam Balloon? What the heck are you talking about???"

LOL

bertoni
10/16/2006, 06:50 PM
At least he didn't hear "algal bombs". :)

Waiting is usually a good idea when dealing with a new tank. :)