PDA

View Full Version : Mag-Drive 12 Question

nterry
10/16/2006, 05:49 PM
Hi,

I have a Mag-Drive 12. While browsing around marinedepot, I noticed their comment that the magdrive "is not recommended for external use". Should I use my submersed? I have an acrylic sump--the magdrive is rather heavy and I want to make sure that this heavy, vibrating object will cause a problem. I'd rather use it external, but I'm wondering if anyone else uses their Mag-drive externally and if so, if they have any problems.

Thanks.

Nate Terry

NickP123
10/16/2006, 10:25 PM
I have mine setup external as well it has been working like a champ for a while

Lordhelmet
10/16/2006, 10:29 PM
mine has been external for 16 months now. no salt creep no problems. it was a little noisey for the forst few months but now you can't hear it.

theatrus
10/16/2006, 10:29 PM
The impeller housing isn't the toughest nor the most leakproof, and the inlet part is prone to breaking if you screw the pipe in too tight. But many people do use them successfully.

benray4fun
10/16/2006, 11:27 PM
I have mine inside the sump and it's totally silent, of course you have to put on the one sided rubber/foam sticky pad on the bottom. It comes along with it in the box and if you don't have it, just order it.

If you do use it externally, plan it carefully...

nterry
10/17/2006, 08:01 PM
Maybe I'll try it inside my sump--I've already had one too many leaks on (formerly) new our living room carpet.

Can I place the foam padding in the sump? Will there be any problems with the adhesives leaching into the tank? It sounds like you didn't have any problems (benray4fun), but I figured I'd double check.

Thanks.

benray4fun
10/17/2006, 11:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8361470#post8361470 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nterry
Maybe I'll try it inside my sump--I've already had one too many leaks on (formerly) new our living room carpet.

Can I place the foam padding in the sump? Will there be any problems with the adhesives leaching into the tank? It sounds like you didn't have any problems (benray4fun), but I figured I'd double check.

Thanks.

Yea, it may sound like I didn't have any problems because I've already made every mistake imagineable (including the carpet thing) lol.

Yes, you can place the foam padding in the sump attached to the pump and it will not cause any harm or leaching of any kind... Just use stainless or plastic clamps and screw on barb fittings on the pump and you should be fine.