PDA

View Full Version : Aquatraders at it again! Odyssea, Jebo, eBay, Hombby

Wackfunky
10/16/2006, 08:02 PM
Those sneaky bass turds are at it again with name changes and new companies.

I took a chance on a "New 2007 Model" Odyssea 20" MH. I exhaustively read all of the threads, looked at the pictures of melted capacitors, heard about the endless run-arounds and name changes of Aquatraders and said "I got ta get me one of those!

In actuality I found one on eBay thinking that I was avoiding Aquatraders. I noticed that it was a 20" 250w with dual 24w PC. It also claimed to be a new "2007 Model". I went to the Aquatraders web site to compare and they didn't have anything but the 175 in that size, with 18w PCs. So I enquired to this "other" eBay company named Hombby. They were quick to reply. I asked if it was truly 250 and not 175 or 150. I also inquired about the fire prone ballast and the warranty. The response was, "guaranteed 250w.... new electronic ballast.... multi cords for each component....30 day retailer and one year ballast warranty by the manufacturer". I decided to give it a try. It was $169.00 shipped.

After I sent the pay pal, I noticed the name of the person that the payment went to and the location. Elvis Mak in San Francisco, CA.

A chill ran down my spine. Hadn't I read a few postings that mentioned the name Elvis at Aquatraders? After a quick search I came across this:
still waiting.. old elvis at aquatraders billed me for a set of lights a week ago and it was supposed to be shipped out the following day.. I called and everyone is right the lady that answers the phone IS clueless.... she told me to talk to elvis later when he got in.. from donald altman in the thread:
Anyone using these lights?

I know that I have seen that name in other postings about Aquatraders. Coincidence? I think not. How many Elvises do you think are selling odyssea fixtures in CA?

Well I have no personal opinion of Elvis yet as he has been very prompt with communication with me so far. If the lights arrive in the next couple of days in one piece, I won't be complaining. As far as odyssea, sure they are cheap but if the ballast is truly upgraded to an electronic 250w, I'll be stoked. Now don't get me wrong, I'm no idiot, I'll still probably build a small fire box out of bricks around the ballast box and put an extra fan on it at all times, run the lights mostly when I will be home.

So as I think about this situation I say kudos to you Mr. Elvis (if that truly is your name). Way to grab the American dream by the bowls by staying one step ahead of customs, the better business bureau, the humane society, any law suit or liability, 1000's of customers, remorse, your own conscience, probably IRS and lets be real, most likely immigration! Kudos to you sir! I am more than happy that my purchase can help a thriving entrepreneur such as Elvis keep the dream alive.

And for all of you who would flame anyone who doesn't by only American, well as many have said before me, "Which is better, buying a product manufactured in America for a foreign company or subsidiary or buying a product made in a foreign country for an American company. I hate to be a cynic but I have a box of Made in America stickers that I could put on just about any product and take advantage of a patriotic consumer. At least when someone buys an odyssea they aren’t trying to full themselves about where it was made!

Bottom line: eBay’s Hombby = Aquatraders? You decide.

Cheers

FLricordia
10/16/2006, 08:57 PM
I just ordered one from Homby last Thurs and got it today. it does have an electronis ballast and 4 plugs, 1 for fans, 1 for moons, 1 for 2x24wy actinics and 1 for HQI electronic ballast. i hooked it up and so far have no complaints. The ballast is slightly warm after a few hours and the 20000k HQI is very blue. I like it for the price. I don't know about Homby with Aqwuatraders though. I have bought PC outfits before from him and have had no trouble so far. i paid $169 shipped for 20". I posted a thread here today about it with a pic.

reefarmer
10/16/2006, 09:19 PM
i bought one off of ebay Hombby to be exact and the paypal went to elvis mak, 20'MH with 2 24 watt actinics, 2 moonlights. it was a little bit cheap, hard to get to the bulbs, parts did not fit together great but i did everything straighened out. Light worked great, ballast stayed nice and cool nice blue 20k bulb, but i upgraded my tank size and sold it on ebay for 2 bucks more than i paid hehehehehe, other guy says he loves it, for the price i would buy again.

lanceleaderx
10/16/2006, 09:29 PM
i got the new one too ~ ^O^ ~ 20k is too blue for me -_= anyway its great and it has a little QC passed on it. anyone know QC stands for ? or just a UL rap off ~ hahaha well the only thin i hope is the shield for hqi is 100% UV block

theatrus
10/16/2006, 09:35 PM
QC= Quality Check. In short it means they hired someone to put stickers on the casings. I hope you like your sticker :)

noodles9987
10/17/2006, 06:07 AM
i have the 542 watt 48" unit with 2 175 watt mh bulbs and 2 96 watt pc's. I bought it a couple of months ago and I basically threw the ballast out. I bought a new aquamedic dual 150 watt mh ballast. i also threw away the bulbs and the pc ballast. In the end, I used the fixture along with all the wiring, etc. I am very happy with my purchase and I'd buy one again. It was the cheapest way at the time to get what I wanted. The aquamedic ballst is 5 inches by 16 inches (roughly) and I mounted the pc ballast inside of the canopy. Totally happy with this modified unit.

FiReC
10/18/2006, 10:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8356551#post8356551 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by noodles9987
i have the 542 watt 48" unit with 2 175 watt mh bulbs and 2 96 watt pc's. I bought it a couple of months ago and I basically threw the ballast out. I bought a new aquamedic dual 150 watt mh ballast. i also threw away the bulbs and the pc ballast. In the end, I used the fixture along with all the wiring, etc. I am very happy with my purchase and I'd buy one again. It was the cheapest way at the time to get what I wanted. The aquamedic ballst is 5 inches by 16 inches (roughly) and I mounted the pc ballast inside of the canopy. Totally happy with this modified unit.

thats the one I have been eyeing up, what was wrong with the ballasts it came with?

horkn
10/19/2006, 06:48 AM
QC is genrally referred to as Quality Control...

I can say that newer models of these aquatraders jebo/ etc ligths seem to at least not burn up.

for as cheap as they are, its worth it just for the rest of the components at least

FLricordia
10/20/2006, 05:45 AM
I have noticed that I can rest my hand on top of the 250MH unit after it has run all evening. The 2 built-in fans keep it pretty cool. They, along with the MH, PC and moons have separate plug. Ballast is running warm but not burning hot either. I am really enjoying mine and I have never seem my shrooms as large and rics as puffy either.