PDA

View Full Version : Just set up a barebottom tank..need ideas...

ChunksInClemson
10/16/2006, 08:32 PM
Its a 20L barebottom tank I want to use for clownfish breeding. I just wanted some ideas. All I have so far is a heater and an aquaclear 200. This tank used to be a FOWLR but I let it go to crap so I decided this is what I wanted to do with it. I put 10 gallons of water from my 90 as I did my water change so it should have some good bacteria in it. What other kind of equipment do you guys have in yours? I know I might need some PVC for the fishies to hide in.

Thanks, Chris

LittlePuff
10/16/2006, 10:18 PM
Live rock has the bacteria. The water doesn't.

Randall_James
10/16/2006, 10:25 PM
you better read the threads in the breeding forum and the clown forum about breeding those guys, Not as easy as it sounds from what I have read...

ChunksInClemson
10/17/2006, 01:14 PM
I know LR has bacteria but there are smaller organisms you cant see that live in the water column. Bacteria will grow in my filter without there being any LR in the tank.

I have read plenty of threads and the breeding part is easy, its just raising the fry that is hard, not the actual breeding.

mwsmith15
10/17/2006, 01:19 PM
This is true, and some bacteria can be found in the water column.

Randall_James
10/17/2006, 01:37 PM
Breeding would imply from egg to saleable fish... Virtually anyone that has had a clown pair can vouch for their egg laying ability, this is not breeding however... that is the "Spawning"

Breeding would be considered the entire process... IE dog breeder

ChunksInClemson
10/17/2006, 02:04 PM
so spawning is considered part of breeding then if its considered the entire process. It really doesnt matter, you really didnt answer the question of my post.

Do you have anything that would actually help me?

meco65
10/17/2006, 02:11 PM
Clowns need something to host so some PVC pipe or live rock with a cave might help. If you don't have live rock you will have to do a lot of water changes to keep the levels right.

Randall_James
10/17/2006, 02:56 PM
The links to the breeding forums are the best advice I could give you as the advice you are asking is very broad in nature.

It is outside the scope of a single thread to do a recitation on the the entire setup and process for breeding.

Most breeder tanks have half a flower pot in them and that's it. They also have exceptional water quality (sort of hard to do on a 20G volume)

ChunksInClemson
10/17/2006, 06:30 PM
I'm not asking anything hard to answer. Just what other equipment do people run, I'm not asking how to breed clownfish, just asking about the setup. I am going the tile route so I will be adding that ASAP.

ChunksInClemson
10/18/2006, 03:33 PM
bump...