PDA

View Full Version : Remotely located Skimmer?

ppht
10/17/2006, 07:21 AM
I am in the process of coverting my Sump into a refuge. After having determined that any thing I do i just dont have the space or atleast it complicates my setup. So I thought about either converting my skimmer to operate outside the sump/refuge or what is a good skimmer that is run outside of the sump?

I have a 90 gal.

cdentii1
10/17/2006, 08:53 AM
There are many good skimmers that can be used external just a couple of high quality ones are Aqua C, Euro reef, E.T.S.S. just keep in mind when purchasing one that the skimmer gate valve should be above the water line in the sump and in most cases the skimmer will have to be elevated in order to compensate this so make sure you have the proper clearance in the stand if that is your placement area.

ppht
10/17/2006, 08:58 AM
I have a Euro-Reef RS-80 and was just looking that it can be run outside sump.
But I am confused about what is the actual point that needs to be above water level? I see the stack, is that valve in it?

cdentii1
10/17/2006, 11:28 AM
according to Euro-Reef the rs-80
http://www.euro-reef.com/csrs80specs.shtml
is a in sump skimmer and cannot be ran outside of the sump. and after reviewing their web site it appears that all Euro-Reef skimmers are in sump so I stand to be corrected and do apologize for the miss information on euro-reef. Now I am more than sure there can be a mod that you can do. However there is a possibility that you could also (space permitting) add a additional sump to the main sump by plumbing them together ideally you would want to have the aquarium drain into the skimmer area then the refugium then to the main display in order to maximize pod population and skimmer effectiveness.

ppht
10/17/2006, 12:01 PM
This is from their FAQ area though?

Q#6 I'm having a hard time visualizing how to install an RC skimmer outside a sump. How do you plumb from the sump to the skimmer?

A#6 It is quite simple actually. Water is supplied to the skimmer by a separate feed pump or a tee off of the main system pump. Water returns to the sump via the outlet assembly which has a minimum height. This height varies from model to model so you will need to determine which model you are going to purchase in order to arrange the return plumbing. If the top of the sump wall is lower than the minimum height for the outlet assembly, you are good to go. Simply set the skimmer next to the sump and direct the return into it. If your sump wall is higher than the skimmer outlet, you will need to do one of two things:

1. Raise the skimmer so that it can drain freely into the sump.

2. Plumb through the sump wall to the skimmer outlet can be attached to it.

oldsaltman
10/17/2006, 12:05 PM
FWIW, my skimmer is in a 5g bucket. I ran a syphon tube from the display to my bucket then put a bulkhead in the bucket about 6" from the top and that darins back to the slump. Mine is working great. It just sits behind my stand out of sight.;)

JPA
10/17/2006, 12:28 PM
I have one of these running external.

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_35&products_id=73

Great performance for the price.

Joe

cdentii1
10/17/2006, 03:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8358179#post8358179 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SA057
FWIW, my skimmer is in a 5g bucket. I ran a syphon tube from the display to my bucket then put a bulkhead in the bucket about 6" from the top and that darins back to the slump. Mine is working great. It just sits behind my stand out of sight.;)

I was wondering if you could please please please (man I am starting to sound like my kids... lol) post some pics to help out PPHT I have a Aqua C urchin Pro and A E.T.S.S. however I never used a Euro-Reef (yet) even though they are top notch skimmers.

oldsaltman
10/18/2006, 08:35 AM
I will try to get photos tonight. It is very simple. I use ½” clear plastic form the display to the 5g bucket. It is just a straight siphon. And that supplies the water to the skimmer. The skimmer is just sitting in the bucket. It picks up its water from the bottom of the bucket and it circulates through the skimmer and returns to the bucket. About 1/3 of the way down the bucket I put a ¾” PVC DIY bulkhead which drains through a 3/4” tube back to the slump. I used ¾” on the line from the bucket to the slump so there is no possibility of overflowing the bucket. Works great. You can even stop the siphon and remove the bucket, dump about 3g water, refill the bucket with 3g fresh water and have an easy water change.
;)

ppht
10/18/2006, 11:57 AM
SAo57 - That sounds like a good Idea, Do you get good water flow through bucket?

I think I am buying an External Deltec though and just going to sell my Euro... If I didnt have limited space I would definitely do the bucket idea.

oldsaltman
10/18/2006, 12:22 PM
The 1/2" tubing pulls a lot of water from the tank. It does get good flow through the bucket. ;)

jmait769
10/18/2006, 12:41 PM
Here is how I have my ETSS plumbed. I had to elevate the sump to the 7" level for the bulkhead fitting. I'm running 10" of water in the sump.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/jmait769/ETSS.jpg

HTH

Jay

theatrus
10/18/2006, 12:44 PM
Euro-Reef has the new series of RC skimmers which are recirculating and can be run outside of the sump easily.

Jim_S
10/18/2006, 04:04 PM
IMO your best bets are

Euro-reef
H&S
Deltec

if you have the cash.

If you are looking to save some money, look into the reef-octopus.

Here is my Euro-Reef. I run it externally. RC180 w/ an Eheim pump.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m199/jimdogg187/new_sump1.jpg