PDA

View Full Version : why no crushed coral?

MyCatsDrool
10/17/2006, 08:06 AM
I keep seeing posts about substrate and people saying do not use crushed coral...

Why?

SirSmapty
10/17/2006, 08:28 AM
it is porus thus waste gets in it and the clean up critters can't get to it. The waste breaks down and can cause all kinds of problems*

*I find that his only applies if you over feed your animals.

I have crushed coral for most of my substrate with 1 corner with sand for the starfish and goby. I feed my tank once every other day and not to much and it's tested fine.

imtheonlylp
10/17/2006, 08:35 AM
having crushed coral is like having a toilet and not flushing it....i used it for a couple of years then just recently switched to aragonite...what a difference...not only is it better looking (imo), but it makes life a little easier for the crabs and snails b/c the particles are much smaller, making it easier for them to crawl around

schmcc
10/17/2006, 10:33 PM
In the long run with water movement(to keep detritus afloat for removal by overflow(s) Your tank will be alot cleaner:)

mg426
10/18/2006, 01:24 AM
I switched from CC to sand and will not be going back.

MCary
10/18/2006, 09:29 AM
I have a friend that has crushed coral on the bottom of his 500 gallon tank and its fine. What you need to understand is that people advocate their choices like it was a political debate or something. Most thing run the scale from acceptable to ideal. Crushed coral is the least acceptable but is not going to cause your tank to go belly up. It requires increased maintenance because you need to vacuum it, it traps waste that cause nitrate, it's bad for sand sifters and burrowers, it loses it brighrt white appearance when it gets covered in coralline, but its not a deadly toxin.

Mike