PDA

View Full Version : Chaeto in display tank?

jaydubh11
10/17/2006, 01:04 PM
I don't think that I want to get a refuge because I don't have a lot of space on my 20g and I was just wondering if it will work ok to have so Chaeto in there. Where would be the best place to put it - let it float around, attach it to LR, or attach it to the side of the tank?

An in-tank refuge is not an option... like I said - my space is limited.

I also considered a couple Shaving Brush but I was told that they are not very efficient in Phosphate/Nitrate reduction.

I was debating to make a DIY fuge out of a AC 70 Power Filter... but it just doesn't seem practical with my limited space.

bertoni
10/17/2006, 01:25 PM
I just put Chaetomorpha into the space between the live rock and the back of the tank. Works for me.

masterqaz
10/17/2006, 01:27 PM
chaeto in the main tank is a scary thing. It grows so fast. We had a tiny bit get into our frag tank at work. Bahhhh what a mess. the stuff grows too fast and it's like impossible to get ride of once its in.

six.line
10/17/2006, 01:30 PM
I would consider other options.

If the tank is small enough, you can get away with not having any macro by doing frequenty water changes. I agree with masterqaz, I wouldn't want it getting everywhere.

jaydubh11
10/17/2006, 01:30 PM
masterqaz, what kind of lighting did you have? I didn't realize it grew that fast and I thought it was easy to manage.

Nykademus
10/17/2006, 02:16 PM
I have some of the non-aggressive chaeto in my tank that I have placed on the bottom side of one of the powerheads so that my fish/critters/coral do not get stuck in it.

So far no issues with it going nuts under 4x65w PC lighting (2 actinic, 2 daylight)

I would really suggest that you somehow make sure that its the non-aggressive type before adding it tho.

I am unfamiliar with your space concerns, but the container need not be glass.. rubbermaid makes lots of different shapes and sizes and can be drilled very easily and it doesnt take a whole lot of light to maintain chaeto.. so heat shouldnt melt the container.

Just a couple thoughts. =) good luck in that which you decide.

Galloyien
10/17/2006, 04:28 PM
I'm jealous. I have a 90g with brown star polyps, orange and yellow zoa's, and live rock. My chaeto isn't growing in my refugre or the pieces in the main tank. Maybe I am lucky and have nothing for them to feed from? I only have 3 fish. Wish mine would grow some...

vlapinta
10/17/2006, 05:19 PM
What about putting it in one of those small fish refuges in the main tank? Any ideas if this would work?

Vicki