PDA

View Full Version : Yes/no Amquel with Formalin

hawk66
10/17/2006, 05:03 PM
I'm treating a hospital tank with Quick Cure, a formalin medication. A 2-3 day treatment of 1 drop/gallon. Will using Amquel to keep ammonia in check lessen the effectiveness of the Formalin? Or as long as I'm dosing each day can I keep on doing water changes? thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/17/2006, 05:45 PM
I do not know. It might. It certainly has the potential to react with it chemically, but I'm not sure of the relative concentrations that are actually used.

Anyone have an opinion of data on this?

Boomer
10/17/2006, 05:47 PM
I have no clue, never heard that before.

hawk66
10/17/2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the replies. Without knowing one way or the other I won't use Amquel. Today I treated the tank as per instructions 19gallons/19drops. If I were to do a 5 gallon water change later this evening could I just add 5 drops to the make-up water?

DrBegalke
10/17/2006, 07:47 PM
According to Kordon:

"Formalin·3 is compatible with Kordon's Malachite Green. While compatible with Methylene Blue, Copper·Tru®, Acriflavine and Chelated Copper Solution, such combinations are not recommended. In addition Formalin·3 is compatible with AmQuel®."

http://www.novalek.com/kpds.htm

hawk66
10/17/2006, 08:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8361344#post8361344 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrBegalke
According to Kordon:

"Formalin·3 is compatible with Kordon's Malachite Green. While compatible with Methylene Blue, Copper·Tru®, Acriflavine and Chelated Copper Solution, such combinations are not recommended. In addition Formalin·3 is compatible with AmQuel®."

http://www.novalek.com/kpds.htm

Thanks for this link. Alot of good info. I didn't know that formaldehyde only persist for a few hours in aquariums and does not accummulate. So a water change is not a problem. Kordon recommends daily water changes of at least 25% when using Formalin and malachite Green, both ingredients in the medication I am using. Thanks again.

DrBegalke
10/17/2006, 11:52 PM
No problem, glad I could help. It is nice that Kordon provides fairly detailed info on their products online....

Good luck with the treatment.