PDA

View Full Version : my bubble boy

awestruck
10/18/2006, 03:23 PM
Hi to anyone who is around. I have a 58 gallon tank (deep vs. long) and my bubble coral is approximately 12"-14''. This tank is mixed- it has soft and lps (no sps due to absence of metal halides). My question is, how far away does everything need to be from the bubble? For example, my large red meat coral was 7" from the bubble and wasn't lookin' too happy:( . Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.
Awestruck

slojmn
10/18/2006, 08:52 PM
Bubbles can send out some long sweepers...esapecially at night. If something is looking stressed it could be getting stung at night. I have a flashlight by the tank and occasionally look in on the tank int hemiddle of the night...interesting things go on in our reef tanks in the dark :). I would take a look and see if you can catch the sweepers out at night to get a good idea how far they are sweeping. Sounds like a happy bubble coral. I use to have a huge one that I eventually had to give to a lfs for their show tank that was much bigger than my 120g.

Sk8r
10/18/2006, 09:04 PM
6" sweepers are not uncommon.http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/Sk8r10/8eda8ee4.jpg

This was mine, reaching out to annoy a tiny pocillopora on the rock above.

awestruck
10/18/2006, 09:25 PM
Thanx for the replies--I went in the tank and moved the meat coral out of the way. They are both really nice so hopefully all will be well. Ya know, I hated to move the meat coral but I felt it was better than letting it get stung. I just moved it tonight so I'll have to wait and see.