PDA

View Full Version : Clear sun polyp like hitchikers

Ryanqk
10/18/2006, 06:15 PM
I recently got a few new pieces of LR from a LFS down here its the finest stuff ive ever seen, absolutly covered with various forms of life, porites, sponge, tunicates, macro, fanworms, shellfish, orange mushrooms, and even what appears to be some kind of LPS. There are two of the LPS heads on the rock and they look alot like sun polyps but without color. When i first saw em i thought aptasia, but i noticed the tenticals came from a small (trumpet coral in shape) stony head. They are def not aptasia. Could they be a bleached out LPS coral? The tentacles are mostly clear with white specks in a sort of band on each arm. I cant get a good enough photo with my camera. Each head is about 1cm across.
Ryan

jessp
10/19/2006, 04:20 PM
they could be glass anemones. small potent stingers from what i have read.

johnnybravo234
10/19/2006, 04:26 PM
I think I know what you are talking about. Ive had one for years and it hasnt really grown or reproduced. I feed it regularly. It looks cool and hasnt harmed anything. Its base is a little smaller than a dime. They look really cool in actinic light because the specs in its tenticles glow.

Ryanqk
10/19/2006, 05:09 PM
johhny that sounds pretty much like what i have, Its def not an anenome of any kind, the stony base is a bit smaller than a dime. There are two of them close to each other.
I only wish i could get a photo...

ViPeR_930
10/19/2006, 06:43 PM
Sounds like they could be Florida cup corals.

Speckled Grouper
10/19/2006, 06:44 PM
Sounds like a hidden cup coral to me. Melev has a decent picture on his website

http://melevsreef.com/id/lps.html

Ryanqk
10/19/2006, 07:04 PM
yup thats what it looks like although i cant see the stony base in melev's photos. Funny thing is he says he gets these primarily when he orders from tampa bay saltwater, this is on mashal island rock from coral reef farm. I hope i can keep em alive says they filter feed, phyto or zoo?

Earl45
10/19/2006, 07:17 PM
If it's the same size as a sun coral polyp, try to feed him shrimp :)

DaddyJax
10/19/2006, 07:51 PM
I believe it is a Cladocora of some kind.

Ryanqk
10/19/2006, 08:03 PM
no its smaller than a sun polyp the size is comperable to a dime....

musty baby
10/19/2006, 08:38 PM
I bet it will still take mysis, or at least brine. Let us know what they take.