PDA

View Full Version : Custom tanks

Serioussnaps
10/18/2006, 06:35 PM
Hey everyone...i am looking to have a tank built for me and dont know all the places i can turn to do this...obviously the things to be considered are craftsmanship, customer service, quality, and cost.

I am in the US...looking to have a cube like tank built. I would want it shallow and almost like a lagoon but not quite a lagoon. Kind of like the japanese style tanks you see so often on RC.

I would like alot of depth in this tank...DEPTH IS KEY

say 4' x 4' x 18-24" with an overflow in the middle of the tank and allow for LOTS OF FLOW

I have thought about glass cages but where else can i have a tank built to my exact specifications

ALSO...i dont want ANY of the tank borders or braces like you see on say an AGA...JUST A GLASS CUBE...to get the look of water just sitting in the middle of the room

I WOULD CONSIDER ACRYLIC BUT IT JUST DEPENDS ON COST AND ALL THE OTHER FACTORS

just looking to start a discussion and figure out the best way of starting a new tank

prance1520
10/18/2006, 08:13 PM
I got mine from AO, they are sponsors here. Mine isn't exactly cube, but its 48x30x16. I like the shallow height and large front to back depth. My rockwork is low, only 1 to 2 rocks high, but with 2 tunze streams and that short of a tank, I don't have to worry about spots that don't get flow because they are a foot deeper than the tunze is.

He will make them braceless, but expect to pay for a thicker glass to make sure its done correctly. They also use black silicone because it is stronger than the clear. I dunno if your looking for starphire or not, but they can do both.

Here is a link to a couple pictures of the tank when I first got it. I might get to take a couple better ones here soon with the aquascaping.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=945790

Good choice on the idea of your tank. I really love how much area I have. Good luck and keep us posted.

Matt

Waxxiemann
10/18/2006, 08:34 PM
for glass check out:

Miracles in glass
Aquarium obsessed

For acrylic check out

Tenecor
Socal Creations

Good luck!

Waxxiemann
10/18/2006, 08:35 PM
I'm looking at a 4'x4'x24" as well.

The best price I got was from SoCal.

dougchambers
10/18/2006, 09:21 PM
I'll throw another plug for Miracles Aquariums. They built us a totally custom in-wall tank to our exact specifications. Derek was great to work with and like AO, they are a sponsor. I'd suggest calling or emailing them direct.

http://www.miraclesaquariums.com/

We also looked at Lee Mar out of California, but they wouldn't ship the tank to Boise. Glass Cages wanted to "resize" some of the dimensions to their standard pre-cut panels and I got a number of emails from GC owners that were unhappy with the quality.

If we had not gone with Miracles, we would have gone with AO.

-Doug

goda
10/18/2006, 10:13 PM
stay away from tenecor thats all i can tell ya :P

Waxxiemann
10/18/2006, 10:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8369678#post8369678 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by goda
stay away from tenecor thats all i can tell ya :P

how come?

phlipper84
10/18/2006, 10:50 PM
Tenecor can be a bit expensive. Also they have a tendency to underbuild in terms of acrylic thickness. You can specify thicker but then they get truly expensive. I bought my tank here in Phoenix, AZ. I discovered the guy on Ebay, and his prices are very good. I have a 60 X 30 X 30 and it was under a 1000. He does take a bit of time but his work is topnotch.

Waxxiemann
10/18/2006, 11:07 PM
is there a website? That sounds good.

phlipper84
10/18/2006, 11:12 PM
No website. He only sells on Ebay, although if you contact him he will work with you.http://cgi.ebay.com/SALE-70-GALLON-ACRYLIC-AQUARIUM-REEF-READY-FISH-TANK_W0QQitemZ180037636511QQihZ008QQcategoryZ20755QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

lessthanlights
10/19/2006, 02:07 AM
i just have midwest custom aquariums in mn build me a 36x24x24 in acrylic. great guy reasonable price and good work. not great work but the price was 40% cheaper than elsewhere.

sabodish
10/19/2006, 05:47 AM
if you want acrylic, i just bought a 36x36x30 cube from andy at myreef. the tank is built from 3/4" acrylic and the quality is awesome. andy stayed in total contact with me throughout design, construction and delivery. i would recommend him to anyone looking for an acrylic tank.
-mike

Serioussnaps
10/19/2006, 03:10 PM
Sabodish...is andy in NC too? Also, if you dont mind me asking..how much did you pay for yours? He delivered it and everything?

Serioussnaps
10/19/2006, 03:12 PM
Sabodish...is andy in NC too? Also, if you dont mind me asking..how much did you pay for yours? He delivered it and everything?

Oh and reading your interests....did you ever live out in holly springs out behind a guy name Chad's house? The guy with all the pit bulls? I think i know you.

prance1520
10/19/2006, 10:22 PM
Just to make your head hurt more, if your looking for glass, there are two more that are gaining momentum on the boards.

Aquariums for you out of NJ.

And the people who build naka's tank:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=839423

Both have great reviews so far. Which are you leaning towards, glass or acrlyic?

sabodish
10/20/2006, 08:55 AM
snaps..andy is in georgia, so not too far from NC. for my 36x36x30 cube and one of his reef sumps i think i paid about $1800 with shipping.

i just moved to holly springs, i used to live in cary. i guess you could know me, i held a frag meeting at my house with about 50 people and i have had many people over to buy items when i took my 360 gallon down.

JayS
10/20/2006, 09:03 AM
Aquarium Obsessed is building me a PPG Starphire 36"x26"x24" or 97g. Their displays looked really nice at MACNA last month.

em805
10/27/2006, 11:50 PM
I was actually thinking of getting a 36"x36"x24" tank custom built myself. Would you recomend placing overflow in any other area for a square tank like the one I'm thinking about getting? I was originally thinking about (brainstorming stage only) just getting the tank drilled four times int he back and installing bulkhead strainers vs the overflow box--I would place 2 next to the surface of the tank in opossite sides and 2 mid level... Would you mind shooting holes in that or bouncing off some pros and cons of using a box like yours vs just drilling? Thanks, Eli