PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for pretty, tiny fish

ACBlinky
10/18/2006, 10:50 PM
We're setting up a new 90g tank and want to approach things differently than we did with our rushed, overstocked 65g. The aim this time around is to keep the display fishless for up to six months while macro, worms and pods multiply and the tank settles in, then introduce a few small fish with the possibility of a single 'centrepiece' fish (flame angel from the old tank that's currently residing in a QT).

I'm thinking about a small group (3-5) of Talbot's damsels, because they're peaceful like chromis but stay smaller and are much prettier IMO (I'm a girl, I like pink, what can I say?). I'd like to also keep a goby for our pistol shrimp, and possibly a clown goby or maybe a tiny blenny if such a thing exists.

Basically I'm looking for suggestions of interesting looking/pretty small fish (1-2.5") that won't decimate the pod population or harass peaceful fish.

zrs6v4
10/19/2006, 12:55 AM
I really like purple firefish. I had one in my 24 nano with a diamond goby 2 clowns, and anenome and some corals

loup
10/19/2006, 07:57 AM
I'll second a firefish. My purple is an awesome little fellow.

SDguy
10/19/2006, 08:10 AM
I like the flasher wrasses. Pretty darn small. Peaceful (to others and themselves) and IME, don't pick off the rocks very much...more water column feeders.

LauraCline
10/19/2006, 09:55 AM
neon gobies, strawberry psuedochromis (bright pink), firefish

triggerfish1976
10/19/2006, 02:43 PM
If you want a goby that will partner up with a shrimp I would go with a white ray shrimp goby aka Yasha Haze Goby. They are very comical and are one of the more attractive shrimp gobies. They can sometimes be difficult to find and are a little more expensive than most gobies but well worth it IMOP.

Here are some other sugesstions for small colorful fish:

Chalk Bass - Very cool in small groups.
Royal Gramma - somewhat territorial but has a bark bigger than its bite.
Neon gobies - Very small but the neon blue really stand out.
Lyretail Anthias - one of the more hardier anthias species.
Midas Blenny - One of my my favorites. Great personality. May get a little big for what you are looking for.
Red Sea Mimic Blenny - Great personailty. Stay fairly small.
Starkii Damsel - Real nice colors but I hear they can be mean. Mine has never bother anybody in the tank.

There are so many fish that you can choose from. I suggest going on sites like liveaquaria.com. They usually have a section of fish for Nano-tanks that will list many small fish that might give you some more options.

Good luck with the tank.

jefathome
10/19/2006, 02:56 PM
I second the Yasha Haze Goby. Very cute, but a little skittish (at least mine was). He had a little hole he lived in and slowly started coming out less and less. Haven't seen him in months now. Probably a goner. :(
Oh well... I've only lost two fish since I started my tank over a year ago. Both were in the first few months.

Sk8r
10/19/2006, 03:10 PM
Yasha hase or the highfin red-striped: the males are more forward; the females tend to be cryptic, except at feeding time. I lost one to the sump for 5 months and found her alive and hungry.

Blazer88
10/19/2006, 05:10 PM
I love my Yasha, he's almost always out and about hanging out at the bottom. Very cool fish.

john37
10/19/2006, 05:31 PM
yellow accessor, sunburst anthias or flasher/fairy wrasses

ACBlinky
10/19/2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions guys!