PDA

View Full Version : Effluent and/or Ozone into a skimmer

jnfallon
10/19/2006, 07:28 AM
Hi Randy,

Got a new skimmer yesterday (Barr 1620), that has a port for calcium reactor effluent as well as a port for ozone.

I have injected ozone into a skimmer previously, so am familiar w/ the cautions, etc. (although I am not currently running ozone, my orp is high w/o it)

I have read a little bit about off-gassing effluent to expel co2, and raise ph.

I would really like to reduce my effluent residual co2, as my alk needs are great, and the calcium reactor (and kalk) are running pretty aggressively to keep up, and tank ph is lower than I would like.

Do you see any issues or have any experience with injecting the effluent into a becket type skimmer?

Will it cause precipitation/loss of alk?

Any potential negatives or concerns with mixing with ozone?

Am I better off running a separate second stage filled with aragonite to pass the effluent over?

Thanks,

Justin

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/19/2006, 08:52 AM
There is no concern of mixing the ozone into the reactor effluent. There is a possibility that with enough aeration in the skimmer you may get calcium carbonate precipitation inside the skimmer from blowing off CO2 and raising the supersaturation level of calcium carbonate. Trial and error is probably the only way to know if that will be an issue in your specific situation.

Boomer
10/19/2006, 10:03 AM
Justin

Am I better off running a separate second stage filled with aragonite to pass the effluent over?

I would try this first and this is the purpose of a dual reactor.