PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Wrasse info

rodd1rj
10/19/2006, 08:25 AM
Does any one have any info on mystery wrasse. Or any reason to get one if the price is right. It seems every reef fish has some drawback i.e. wont eat, fights everythingand so on. Thanks

mile sq. reefer
10/19/2006, 08:43 AM
I just recently added a male vanuatu mystery wrasse ( 3") to my system ( 55 gallon mixed reef over 2 years old, LPS, Softies, num. inverts). Light fish load, Geometric pygmy hawk, red head elegant pseudo., blue streak cleaner wrasse ( 18 months old, eats like a pig). I dripped him slowly for over an hour, and then placed him in. I then fed the system to confuse the other fish about his prescence. Sure enough, the mystery jumped right in and ate too, and no one bothered him. They are reef safe fish, with a calm, curious disposition They cruise the rock work looking for food. They don't rapidly pace the tank. Also they are vivid in their coloration. Beautiful fish worth the addition to the reef.

john37
10/19/2006, 10:16 AM
i really like my mystery wrasse as well. He's jumped into the overflow box when i had him in the 60 cube but now he's been really good. some say that they'll eat crustaceans but i havent had a problem w/that. They're also somewhat known to be aggressive to new wrasses but mine hasn't done that either. Very calm and beautiful. they eat a lot as well. good luck.

rodd1rj
10/19/2006, 10:23 AM
very cool...looks like i'll be getting it then did you guys qt the fish?

john37
10/19/2006, 10:52 AM
you should if you have fish that you dont want to lose. I didn't qt mine because when i got him i barely had any fish in the tank. I added him a long w/a few other fish i had bought that day at the same time....they're pretty hardy. I've had him for over a year now.

rich99rich
10/19/2006, 10:55 AM
Make sure your tank is covered. Mine jumped :(

john37
10/19/2006, 10:58 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/johnjung37/m_wrassesmallerfile.jpg

just for fun :D

seattlerob
10/19/2006, 11:00 AM
I have my mysteri wrasse in a 90g tank currently with 2 GSM clowns & 2 scooter blennies. All get along just fine. Tank is not covered & the mysteri wrasse is showing no signs that he will jump. He did eat 2 of my cleaner shrimps (they were small & apparently if small enough to fit into their mouth, then it's snack time), so now my tank is shrimpless.

They are great for eating flatworms also (as are most wrasses I believe).

Not sure what you mean by "price is right". I've seen these guys at various LFS for as high as $250. FWIW, I was able to get mine for $90.

Good luck,
rob

rodd1rj
10/19/2006, 12:54 PM
yea $95 i felt was a good price for a beautiful, hardy fish.

nickiwit
10/19/2006, 04:27 PM
I have had my mystery wrasse for about 3 months. I have it with my seahorses right now. I will be moving it to my 375 gallon when it is ready. It has been a model citizen so far.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/526/62379mysterywrasse.jpg

rodd1rj
10/19/2006, 04:33 PM
Great pics thanks guys...now the wait begins

zemuron114
10/20/2006, 02:08 AM
mile sq reefer - any pics of the vanuatu mystery?? everyone says they are so much nicer then the marshall islands one, but i dont really see a difference. They are so variable in color (both kinds) that you can't really compare. The nicest one i've ever see was from MI that was caught at 300 feet. The darkest purple i have ever seen on any fish with the brightest yellow face and vivid white lines... i dont see any vanuatu one comparing to this.. lol But most i bring in are usual light purple with faint white lines.

i recommend them for a reef. great fish and VERY hardy. if you kill one, something is wrong... lol they do however tend to be aggressive towards other wrasses. So if you plan to add any fairies or smaller/less aggressive fish add those first

Freed
10/20/2006, 03:00 AM
Will they get along with a six line wrasse?

chrisaggie
10/20/2006, 07:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8377919#post8377919 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freed
Will they get along with a six line wrasse?

Most likely not.