PDA

View Full Version : A question about live rock?

Reef5
10/19/2006, 09:55 AM
I have a question about live rock.

I am converting a 10 gallon tank, if it had meds in it when it was a FW tank,will it kill the live rock?

thanks

Sean

BLKTANG
10/19/2006, 09:57 AM
U should clean the tank,& change all filter media,b-4 adding fresh RO SW,& LR then u should b fine.Allow time 4 the tank to cycle.

Reef5
10/19/2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks i was gonna scrub the tank from an inch of its life but i wasnt sure. I was gonna buy new media anyways.

Im not even sure if its had any chemicals in it. Am i correct in saying no inverts if its ever had chemicals in it.

Thanks

sean

BLKTANG
10/19/2006, 10:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8372085#post8372085 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef5
Thanks i was gonna scrub the tank from an inch of its life but i wasnt sure. I was gonna buy new media anyways.

Im not even sure if its had any chemicals in it. Am i correct in saying no inverts if its ever had chemicals in it.

Thanks

sean

Id say that after a good scrubbin,& the tank cycles with FULLY CURED live rock,that u will b fine.

Reef5
10/19/2006, 10:34 AM
thanks
Thinking of it i dont think i have ever added chemicals. Im still gonna scrub it anyway.
I like used tanks, as i notice that algie doesnt grow as much.

Sean

Jocko
10/19/2006, 10:56 AM
IF you have used copper, then the copper could have been absorbed into anything including the seals of the tank. Assuming there was copper somewhere in the tank, then it would leach back out into the water and that could kill your inverts. So you are right to be concerned. If you haven't used copper then you are probably fine. If you aren't sure then you'd probably want to pick up a copper test kit just so you can watch the level to be certain.

Reef5
10/19/2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks i dident know they made copper test kits. I will get one and check the levels thanks again.