PDA

View Full Version : Eggs Again

spk
10/19/2006, 01:30 PM
Well it is that time again, I got an email today saying that the Clowns had laid more eggs that I will collect on Tuesday.

However there is a slight derailment to the plan, in that my 30l of rots that I had cultivated crashed whilst I was last in America. I have ordered a new batch to culture from and begin that culture on Saturday.

I will let you all know how things progress.

Steve

Kathy55g
10/19/2006, 01:36 PM
Good luck, my friend!

spk
10/19/2006, 02:45 PM
Kathy,

Thanks ho wis your breeding doing?

Steve

TomRep
10/19/2006, 07:38 PM
Ashame your not from the states. I have WAY too many rotifers and am willing to GIVE some away, and no one wants them...
Tom

spk
10/20/2006, 12:36 AM
Tom,

Thanks for the offer.
In the area that I live, I am the only one that currently has any live food 'cooking' :(

I would take with open arms, if only...........

Hmm wonder if there is anyway to ship them to me :)

Thanks

Steve

mwp
10/20/2006, 12:40 AM
Steve, I wonder if you could possibly ship "cysts"? I just don't know what all the legalities are for shipping live feeds internationally...

Matt

Kathy55g
10/20/2006, 05:53 AM
Steve, mine are doing well. Laying big nests which hatch into larvae that live despite my bungling. Just finishing the revamp of the growout system and starting on the smaller larval system. Need to get the electrical done....

spk
10/25/2006, 01:01 AM
Well :(

The eggs arrived last night and I they were all clear and beautiful. I was told that the person that I got them from had left them in the bucket overnight and they hatched, so that is what I have tried.

Today the egss are not clear looking any more. I will take a photo and post the pics up in a short while.

Steve

spk
10/25/2006, 01:16 AM
Here is the pic of the eggs as of at today, 26th October 2006.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2779/skeggs26oct06te8.th.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=skeggs26oct06te8.jpg)

Thoughts ideas. Are they OK????

Steve

clownfish75
10/25/2006, 05:46 AM
hard to say steve but they look a bit white to me, and that is normally due to poor water flow over them.

Christian

spk
10/25/2006, 02:53 PM
Hmmm :(,

Ok, they have spent the day today and there have been no hatches. I can only presume that they are again not going to hatch.

This is frustrating. Not sure what I am doig wrong. Before we picked this lot up, Patrick, the egg source, told me that he had left the eggs overnight in the dark, no aeration, no pump, and they hatched.I tried this and still no success.

Soo... What can the poss causes be:

1) temperature Change
2) Water quality

Following on what Patrick said, water quality is not necessarily the reason, as I did not change the water, just left them where they were. The only other things is the termperature. Maybe the water cooled on the way home !!!!!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Steve

clownfish75
10/25/2006, 04:33 PM
Hi Steve

Having cooler water will stall their hatch for a day, and lack of water flow will turn them off within hours, they would hatch if left in a bucket, but if you started that process with no airation too early they could easily be dead within hours.

Christian

Kathy55g
10/25/2006, 04:35 PM
I would guess that they need air, heat, and a lack of fungus. They won't hatch if the lights are on.

Perhaps Patrick put them in the bucket just before lights out. If they were ready to hatch, they would have, without added air.

If you got them a day ahead of hatch day, then they need air to stay alive for more than a couple of hours. Temperature also affects hatching, as we know that cooler water delays hatching.

Does Patrick know how long the nest incubates before hatch? Has the temperature of his tank changed with the changing seasonal weather? If it has gotten cooler over in UK, then perhaps he was off a day in his prediction, the eggs meant to hatch, but did not get enough air, or warmth while they were waiting in a bucket.

I really don't know. Just guesses on my part.

Sorry for your frustration, but we all have gone thru it. You will get there, my friend. Hang in there.
K

Atticus
10/25/2006, 10:16 PM
If you really want to raise some fry, you might want to try collecting larva. Build a larva snagger as described in a few threads on this site and in Wilkerson's book. Then all you need to do is pick up the fry in the late evening from your friend and gently move them to your rotifer stuffed tank.

As for the current batch, they are dead. Looks like fungal infection. Methalyn Blue (sp?) seems to help with this and hatch rates. If you can find neomycin that too seems to help fight fungal infection.

Good luck,
Travis

spk
10/26/2006, 05:33 AM
Folks,

Thanks for the comments. Really appreciate them all.
The next option was to go with the fry route. This seems to be the one to do.

kathy, some intereting thoughts that I never would have thought about.

Thanks all for the kind words We will get there.

Steve

Kathy55g
10/26/2006, 06:37 AM
I expected my own to hatch last evening, but they did not. This morning i checked the temperature, down a couple of degrees. That's all it takes to delay the hatch.