PDA

View Full Version : Too much flow for a 72g with 2 MJ 1200 mods?

Rudy00
10/19/2006, 03:05 PM
I had planned on running a closed loop with mag 7 a SQWD, 2 MJ mods with the high flow and my sump return using a mag 9.5 which will be T'd off with some flow going to the refuge, the question is will this give me too much flow for some less demanding corals?

i figure my flow is about (very very rough estimation) --> (2*2000(MJ's)) + ~600 (from the closed loop) + ~600 (from the return) = 5200 GPH or about 72x turn over considering only my main tank volume

As for reducing flow I could modify one of my MJ's with the lower flow prop to give me 1400-1500 from it instead of 2000 or even both of them giving me about 58x turn over (with both being Medium flow MJ mods)

Also, do i have my return estimation flow rate calculated properly? , there wont be much height to the tank maybe a 2' at the most coming form a mag 9.5 that will be T'd going to the refuge to give it a source of flow and water
--this also has me thinking, do you think it would be a good idea to add another T and ball valve bringing some return water to the skimmer section again rather than up to the main tank?

(i'm giong to buying alot of ballvalves it looks like!)

any suggestions? thanks

bertoni
10/19/2006, 06:27 PM
Well, some corals might like that amount of flow, and others definitely wouldn't. I'd probably tune it back a bit, but it does depend on what animals you want to keep.

The T on the return line might be a good addition.

EdKruzel
10/19/2006, 06:41 PM
I'd only run water from the main to the skimmer, not what is supposed to return.
Are you using modified MJ's with propeller props?
Providing it is an alternating current and with a wide berth as opposed to a direct tight column (like a regular powerhead) then I think most any coral would find a place in your tank.

In the wild monster waves wash over our corals with no ill effect; but place a powerhead and its tight direct blast (not a fraction of the wave) upon the same coral and it tears the flesh from its skeleton.

Rudy00
10/19/2006, 07:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8375617#post8375617 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EdKruzel
I'd only run water from the main to the skimmer, not what is supposed to return.
Are you using modified MJ's with propeller props?
Providing it is an alternating current and with a wide berth as opposed to a direct tight column (like a regular powerhead) then I think most any coral would find a place in your tank.

In the wild monster waves wash over our corals with no ill effect; but place a powerhead and its tight direct blast (not a fraction of the wave) upon the same coral and it tears the flesh from its skeleton.
yeah i'm using the MJ mod kit, so you'd say stick with the high flow output for both mjs?

EdKruzel
10/19/2006, 08:33 PM
Yes, just make sure they alternate between the on-off cycle.
I use a wave maker strip that allows me to run up to three devices with a 20sec to 3min interval; if you use common timers, get the ones that have 30 min intervals over a 24hr period.

You'll be able to stagger them so it's not just one on while the other is off but overlap as well.

Ed

zrs6v4
10/19/2006, 09:04 PM
I'd agree, it definetly depends on what you wanna keep... I have 2 modded 1200's and its plenty of flow for my 120. you can mod smaller maxi-jet powerheads.....

Rudy00
10/20/2006, 02:28 AM
i thought MJ mods with wave makers werent a good idea?

Rudy00
10/20/2006, 09:02 AM
anyone use them on a wave maker with no issues? if so what wavemaker?