PDA

View Full Version : Rinsing New Sand

kpcollins31
10/19/2006, 03:47 PM
Does everyone rinse new sand? I have rinsed my new sand in the past and it is a pain. I am setting up a new 90G and plan on adding 120lbs of oolitic sand (Aragamax) and seeding it with the sand in my current 55G. Thinking about it, I am not sure why there is a need to rinse sand - any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin

MayoBoy
10/19/2006, 04:00 PM
I took out my crushed coral and put it 40 lbs of dry aragonite. I didn't rinse it - just dumped it in. The tank cleared within an hour.

(I do have a skimmer in the sump and there's was lots of white film inside the collection cup)

TH
10/19/2006, 04:04 PM
You don't have to rinse it if you really don't want to... It really is your chaoice. But it's generally considered a wise decision to rinse it just to get debris and dirt and the like out of it before you put it in your tank. The general rule however is: IF it's "dead" sand rinse it. If it's live sand do not rinse it.

Good luck with the new set up. Take some pics so you can share 'em with everyone...

TH

AZDesertRat
10/19/2006, 07:01 PM
If you are going for a functioning deep sand bed, don't rinse it. If you are just doing a decorative sand bed its OK to rinse it. Deep sand bed critters need the fine materials.