PDA

View Full Version : Return plumbing size?

Jester75
10/19/2006, 06:29 PM
What should the return plumbing be on a Quiet One 4000HH? I know the Mag drives are double the port size on the pump but wasnt sure if it was the same rule of thumb with the other pumps too. TIA

Jester75
10/20/2006, 11:14 AM
^^

centerforce
12/02/2006, 08:17 PM
To the Top

Fish'InMN
12/02/2006, 11:59 PM
I think that rule applies to nearly all circumstances. I cannot think of a reason why you would want to shrink the plumbing unless space really requires it. At the very minimum, plumbing into the pump should be at least a size increment larger than the "port" on the pump.

So for a Quiet One 4000, I personally would use 1.5" on both inlet and outlet. Least amount of friction lost into and out of the pump, as far as I know.

HTH,
Marty

centerforce
12/03/2006, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the info

green814
12/03/2006, 09:05 AM
"So for a Quiet One 4000, I personally would use 1.5" on both inlet and outlet. Least amount of friction lost into and out of the pump, as far as I know."
I am actually looking at a q.o. 3000 myself. I was going to place my u.v. inline of the return. So what do you do when the u.v. has 1" fittings & will be the "weak chain link" for flow? Stay w/ 1", or step up at the outlet of the u.v.
Thank you
Chris

Fish'InMN
12/03/2006, 10:23 AM
I have never used a UV, so take this all with a grain of salt. I am assuming there is a flow rate required/recommended to run through a UV that maximizes the effect, this would be helpful to know. Also, finding out how much the UV cuts down on flow rate would be helpful, like how much head loss it adds.

Either way, I see you as having two options:
1. Tee off the 1.5" return pipe right above the sump, and have the extra branch run through the UV, then back to your sump. Place a valve right after the tee so you can control the flow through the UV and the flow to the display at the same time. This is probably the least efficient method, as you have UV'd clean water running back into the sump, back through the pump and possibly back through the UV. But it would work.
2. Split, using a wye, the 1.5" return before it gets to the display tank. Kind of like a tee, but it is more beneficial to water flow with no 90 degree bends. Then, have one of the new returns go directly into the tank, while the other goes through the UV and then into the tank. Again, put a valve before the UV to control flow rate. This method would be fairly efficient, but you will lose a bit of flow rate from the split and running through the UV.

Hope this helps,
Marty

PS. If you had the option, I would add the UV on your drain line from the display. Tee off this drain pipe and do the same thing as option 1. Except there is no pump, no head loss, and no loss in flow that you would care about.

green814
12/03/2006, 02:47 PM
Thank you,
I have actually been considering other ideas since I posted, but am looking for any & all suggestions. I had just read in another thread where it is suggested to have a pump drawing from near the bottom of the tank to feed a u.v., then return directly back to the tank.
It is a coral life 36w turbotwist w/ a flow rate of 400-1200gph
Decisions, decisions.
Thank you again
Chris