PDA

View Full Version : Ozone help! Ozone causing Headache??

MammothReefer
10/19/2006, 07:57 PM
please follow the link

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=953790

bertoni
10/19/2006, 08:13 PM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php

That article discusses ozone safety. From reading the thread, I personally would suggest discontinuing the ozone until you've had a chance to check the equipment, etc, and perhaps get a test kit.

jkapit
10/19/2006, 08:22 PM
I tried using ozone via a number of ways and just decided it is not worth the health risk. I could not stop from getting a slight ozone smell in the tank room.

The only way I would use ozone is if I could exhaust all the ozone outside through a vent and external sump.

Billybeau1
10/19/2006, 08:24 PM
Mammoth, I looked at your other thread.

First if the collection cup has holes on top of your skimmer you need to cover that with a bag of carbon.

Second, you must run the exit water of your skimmer over carbon before it goes back to the tank.

One last thing, make sure all your connections from the ozonizer to the sump are tight.

Ozone kinda smells like the air after a big lightning strike or an old xray machine.

MammothReefer
10/19/2006, 11:56 PM
Much thanks, I reduced the amount I'm using now down to 25mg, and I will add the carbon over the top tonight. I also have a ozone reactor that I think i'm going to use instead of the skimmer, but... I need to get a new gasket for it and mod it a little bit. As far as carbon on the way out basically. The ozone and the skimmer are in a 50 gallon "equipment tank" this tank then returns to a 200+ gallon sump, and from there the water splits back to the main tank, or back to the equpiment tank, the equipment tank has very slow flow between it and the sump, so i'm not to worried about ozone getting to the display..

I'll double check all the connections but they seem fine..

Also.. How often do you change the carbon over the skimmer?

euroreefman
10/19/2006, 11:59 PM
being in the air purifier industry ( Im a home business owner MLM company called Ecoquest) we use Ozone in our purifiers. IMO Ozone is kind of like water we need small amounts of it to survive but to much can kill you same way with Ozone depending on your dosage Ozone can be extremely dangerous in large amounts but in small ones it is actually quite helpful and a wonderful air purifying agent

MammothReefer
10/20/2006, 12:07 AM
ok, so i took a filter sock,filled it with carbon , doubled it over and covered the top holes of the skimmer cup, I need to take a photo because i think i might be leaked "ozone" out of this u-tube i have to return water to the tank.

mburnickas
10/20/2006, 07:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8377606#post8377606 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by euroreefman
being in the air purifier industry ( Im a home business owner MLM company called Ecoquest) we use Ozone in our purifiers. IMO Ozone is kind of like water we need small amounts of it to survive but to much can kill you same way with Ozone depending on your dosage Ozone can be extremely dangerous in large amounts but in small ones it is actually quite helpful and a wonderful air purifying agent

My "old man" has been in Apline/eco-quest for years. I have never had a headache from there flairs, freshairs, xls etc. I

still think ozone from a reef ozone machine is not going to ammount to much.

But, I do not use carbon my on tank with O3. But a dose at only 17 mg/h.

Billybeau1
10/20/2006, 08:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8377592#post8377592 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MammothReefer
Also.. How often do you change the carbon over the skimmer?

I've been told it lasts a pretty long time. I change mine about every 3 months or so.