PDA

View Full Version : tecinal dificulties in text

worlds under
10/19/2006, 11:21 PM
I am wrighting a report for a class about mis-info in the hobbie.
I found a book Marine Aquarium Keeping which states that "subgravel filters are better than any other filter.
The book is copyright 1993 and i know for a fact the undergravel filter was on the way out at that time.
my problem is finding ( in text ) a conflicting statement
jest to illistrate the amount of conflicting info in the hobbie and how easy it is to find mis-infomation.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/20/2006, 04:55 AM
The problem with using such a statement is that it is an opinion rather than a fact that is readily proven right or wrong.

Now, if you want to see obvious misinformation, just look to the reef chemistry literature. There are all sorts of chemistry claims that are obviously wrong. Things like "adding carbon dioxide reduces alkalinity".

rayjay
10/20/2006, 08:50 AM
For example, I believe that a pre-filtered, reverse flow under gravel filter is as good as any system in the hobby today.
I use, however, Berlin method of quality live rock and heavy protein skimming because it's bare bottom and simplistic.

Billybeau1
10/20/2006, 09:14 AM
The one that always kills me is that people with saltwater tanks get all bent out of shape if they have elevated nitrites when elevated nitrites have never been proven to be harmful to salt water tanks. I think that carried over from the freshwater side.

I do believe we have come a long way since 1993 in our understanding of marine aquaria.

Boomer
10/20/2006, 10:08 AM
Marine Aquarium Keeping

Is the author Spotte ? Must be. That is a great little book but it is a FOT book and not a reef book. And many people still run FOT tanks that way. It is probably still the most common way.

This is the books 2nd ed. and is 90 % unchanged from the 1st ed., 1976.

Read the Preface, first paragraph. He explains what this book is about and not about. no-frills.....conventional marine aquarium.... Living Reef tanks are not discussed.

I might add there is no single person in this hobby that has given us more info and knowledge on marine aquariums than Steven Spotte.