PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin goby

Menkey77
10/20/2006, 09:30 AM
http://www.koralle.at/bilder/bbilder%20Mandarinfisch%20gross.jpg

not my picture but this is what he look like. ive read that these fish tend to starve to death, but they love the micro bugs in tanks that i have tons. but my question is what do i supplament their diet with?

Sk8r
10/20/2006, 09:34 AM
Your 75g should be able to support one mandarin after a number of months of copepod growth: only one pod-eating fish, no other dragonets, unless you also have a refugium feeding into the tank. You should feed your tank phytoplankton [DT's, or Phytofeast] every other night, to encourage the pods to multiply. You should also establish small rubble piles in places in your tank to let the pods breed in safety: a mandarin simply eats all day long and will eat every pod it sees.

The fish illustrated is a male: they display like that to their own reflection, or just when they feel like it. The female's front topfin is square instead of peaked.

HTH

Menkey77
10/20/2006, 09:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8379198#post8379198 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Your 75g should be able to support one mandarin after a number of months of copepod growth: only one pod-eating fish, no other dragonets, unless you also have a refugium feeding into the tank. You should feed your tank phytoplankton [DT's, or Phytofeast] every other night, to encourage the pods to multiply. You should also establish small rubble piles in places in your tank to let the pods breed in safety: a mandarin simply eats all day long and will eat every pod it sees.

The fish illustrated is a male: they display like that to their own reflection, or just when they feel like it. The female's front topfin is square instead of peaked.

HTH

thanks i have so many pods it look like i have tons of air bubbles and im starting my refugium this week.

grouper25
10/20/2006, 09:53 AM
I have one and have the same problem . Only one solution to get him healthy. Place him in a hang -on breeder at top of tank with a bottom cover. Feed him intensively with live brine shrimp. Mine was on the brink of death. Made a big comeback and now is totally healthy. Unless you have millions of pods, these are almost impossible to get food to in a big tank. I should never have gotten him and plan to give him away to someone competent to care for him. I have evrything possible to keep this guy alive.
John

chrisstie
10/20/2006, 12:57 PM
Melev's diner is a great solution- get a jar that other fish cant fit into and put your food selection in there.. drop it down for the mandarin to go inside and eat (if they will take more than pods) and then remove when the fish is done munching.

jimbo045
10/20/2006, 01:47 PM
They seem to just peck at the live rock. So a frozen meaty food should work. Like brine,srimp,clam,,JD