PDA

View Full Version : Longspine Urchin's

nano10
10/20/2006, 10:59 AM
whats everyone opionon on Longspine Urchin's, what do they eat? what happens to a thank if one sould happen to die? And do they eat Grape Calurpa? Are the fast eaters?

thatguy
10/20/2006, 11:38 AM
Coralline Algae, that's what they eat. I had one for a while and it every piece of coralline I had.... ok not every piece, there were some it couldn't reach. They are also like bulldozers, anything that isn't big enough or glued down will get knocked over. I had to spend 10 minutes every morning and evening putting things back in place.

Now having said that, I would love to get another one once I have a tank that can handle it. Like a 180 FOWLR.

I see that you have a 10g nano... mine was too big for a 55 and doubled in size in 4 months. I doubt it would fit in your tank and even if it did it would wreck it in a matter of minutes.

I finally sold mine, so I can't say what happens when they die.

(This is of course just my experience and opinion)

bobt2
10/20/2006, 11:56 AM
i got a fla longspine as a baby hitchhicker. it,s now really outgrown my 75, but i still have him. eats all algea's, does knock down things.once in a while it clouds the tank with spawn, but no harm done. would like to find him a big new home

Kinetic
10/20/2006, 12:00 PM
they are great algae eaters. they'll eat bubble, hair, and coralline.

i was thinking of getting one until I found out they can destroy acrylic with their mouths =X