PDA

View Full Version : I need some answers

cotter4601
10/20/2006, 04:38 PM
Ok, I was stuck with about 10 problems all at once and I just need some help.

1. I got ick, I put all my fish in a 10g hospital tank and started medicating with formalin 3 last night. In this tank I have 2 firefish, 2 clowns, blenny, watchman goby, coral beauty. Is this going to work for 6 weeks? I have a couple pieces of various size PVC pipe and a few taracotta pots. A heater, sponge filter, and a regular filter with the carbon removed is what the hospital tank has on it.

2. My xenia in my display is not looking so good. Could this be the result of the stress while I was attempting to catch my fish? My hairy mushroom shrunk a little as did the button corals, but my bubble seems to be fine. I tested and the PH and dKH was about 8.0 to 8.1 and 6 to 7 dKH. What can I use to maintain both of these since they kind of depend on each other. Kalk dosing?

3. My shrimp have been darting around the tank every so often then go back to normal. What is this?

I have been researching all day, but would like some input on people who have delt with things like I am going through. Your responses are very much appreciated.

Travis L. Stevens
10/20/2006, 04:42 PM
1) Is the tank cycled? If not, the ammonia build up will happen fast and could possibly kill all the fish.

2) The Formalin could be causing this. What are all your water parameters at? Temp, SG, pH, Alk, Ca, Mg, Amm, Trite, Trate, Phos? (I know you said a few already)

3) They could be reacting to the Formalin or something is spooking them.

JW Jersey
10/20/2006, 04:45 PM
I think a 10 gallon Qt tank is to small for treating 7 fish all at once.
You are going have to change a lot of water very often so the ammonia spike dosn't kill your fish and it still a chance. Good luck

Sk8r
10/20/2006, 05:04 PM
Re your ph: Kent DKh buffer and Salifert Alk test will help. You should be at 8.3 both in ph and in buffer dkh reading. 420 on the calcium: kent turbo calcium is a good additive. The more you can keep the water spot on in the tank you're attempting to rehab, the better. Likewise the ability to test your qt tank: test for ammonia and nitrate with test strips morning and evening, and do a filter clean and small water change [watch your medication level: you're going to have to do some precise math here] to keep that 0. Remember that your main tank has lost all the food provided by the fish, and you may need to supplement with some feeding for your inverts.

HTH.

cotter4601
10/20/2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'm not putting the formalin in my display. Only QT. Display has been up for 6 months.I plan on doing a 1 to 2 gallon change probably every day if not every other.

I just did a 10 gallon water change on the display to hopefully boot the alk and PH in the display for the corals. Esp the xenia. Today wasn't a good day. I might see if I can trade the firefish in or something just to take my fish load down until it's done.