PDA

View Full Version : Just a safety reminder: Allergies and the reefkeeper

MyCatsDrool
10/21/2006, 09:35 PM
Cross posted from the zoanthid boards' warning about toxins.

If you have an allergy to stings from insects (primarily bees), chances are about 90%+ that you also harbor allergy to marine stings. Marine animal toxins are extremely closely related to Insecta toxins. Contain the same protein that people with sting allergy cannot process, and causes the allergic reaction.

I learned this the hard way, getting stung by jellyfish and ending up in the hospital for a few days rest, then on crutches for 6+weeks while I waited for my legs to heal. And let me tell you...the pain is EXCRUTIATING.

If you harbor allergies, I would warn you to take precaution on ANY coral handling. Wear long gloves and keep an epi-shot near by if you use one for other allergies. Keep benedryl tablets and cream on hand. I keep an epi in with my dry equipment and test kits and keep it by my side when working in my tank. Corals and anemones can hurt you if you aren't careful and you have allergies.

Tang_Cool
10/21/2006, 10:16 PM
Lucky i'm only allergic to cats! :)

Damsel13
10/21/2006, 11:19 PM
Wow, thanks for the warning. I was wondering what those bumps on my arm were from. no kidding. I don't remember actually touching the zoanthids

JasonLL
10/22/2006, 12:50 AM
I never would have guessed - thanks for the warning

MyCatsDrool
10/22/2006, 08:56 AM
bump

conefree
10/22/2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the heads up MCD, I just got zapped by my BTA not too long ago. Thankfully my allergies aren't that bad.

reefallen
10/22/2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks. I knew about the stinging, etc, but I didn't know about the allergy connection!! I have very severe anaphylactic allergies to many things, including bees. This was very helpful info!!!

I had a severe rash/infection on one of my fingers from my tank. I don't know what I touched, but something sliced my finger in a bunch of places. I could see the skin hanging in the water. When I took my hand out, it was already blistered.

What kind of gloves can you recommend that are "reef friendly" that aren't rubber/latex?? I also have a anaphylactic allergy to latex. Are vinyl gloves ok? It is much harder to find them, especially the long ones.

Thanks again for the (possibly lifesaving) info!!

MyCatsDrool
10/22/2006, 12:28 PM
poly cow handling gloves would probably work

http://www.agri-pro.com/GlovBoot.html#Shoulder

conefree
10/22/2006, 12:34 PM
try nitrile gloves, I use them all the time when working around oil.

reefallen
10/22/2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the link!!

PS - one of my cat's drool too!! LOL!

MyCatsDrool
10/22/2006, 12:36 PM
all three of mine do =)

MyCatsDrool
10/23/2006, 09:45 AM
bibbity bobbity boo