PDA

View Full Version : Big enough for stingray?

HornetMech242
10/21/2006, 09:36 PM
I am wanting to put a sting ray in my next tank. It is going to be an SPS tank with a few LPS like hammer and open brain and mushrooms and zoo's on the lower rocks, will that not be a good combination? And the main question is, will 72x30x30 be big enough for the Ray? i am still in the planning stages so i am planning everything around what i want to keep. If i need to i can add a couple inches to the width. At this size it is 280.5 gallons. Thanks for the help.

Chris

ledford1
10/21/2006, 10:07 PM
Any idea what kind of stingray? They vary in size and tank requirements. Some would be fine in a 280, others would not.

I can't say I've seen a ray tank with corals. The reason being rays needs lots of open room for swimming and will appreciate lots of open sand areas, so the LR is kept to a minimum if there is any at all.

I'd like to start a ray tank sometime too, but it's a few years off most likely.

I'd like to see how your tank goes.

ClamIAm
10/21/2006, 11:22 PM
The tank size is probably big enough for most stingrays..but if you cover a lot of the bottom with rocks I wouldn't reccomend it.

HornetMech242
10/22/2006, 04:36 PM
I was thinking i need to add a couple of inches to the width of the tank. I am not sure what species it is but it has blue dots down the center of its back. I am still doing research on requirements and how big it will get. My cousin has a SPS tank right now with a ray but it is a very tall tank and not as much sand surface as the tank i am planning. But if i put the width at 32" and only bring the rocks 12" from the back of the tank, that would give me enough rock to mount SPS and give the ray 72x20 size area of sand. I need to think more on this and determine if i want a ray bad enough to design my tank around it's needs.

I am in Iraq and will not be starting this tank for at least a year. I am getting prices on the tank right now and getting the reserch done. Thanks for the help.

Chris