PDA

View Full Version : How often do you feed you fish?

treminga
10/22/2006, 08:30 AM
I normally feed everyday, but I was wondering if that is the correct amount, since I know in the wild for the most part they might not eat everyday, and eat when they catch something. What are the thoughts on feeding cycles?

BTTRFLYGRL
10/22/2006, 08:54 AM
I have a Butterfly, Tangs and Angels. They are grazers and need fed more often. I keep algae strips in the tank and feed twice a day..

Once a day is fine:)

loves saltwater
10/22/2006, 08:58 AM
I feed very small amounts twice a day. I do not feed more than the livestock can consume in 2-3 minutes. It is important to make sure all the feed is eaten in that period of time.

conefree
10/22/2006, 09:02 AM
I leave nori out for my tang most of the time, and drop food in every evening or every other evening. Just enough for them to eat in a minute or two.

Shagsbeard
10/22/2006, 09:53 AM
Another "it depends" answer. I'll feed smaller ammounts three times a day if I'm at home, and larger ammounts twice a day if I'm at work. High quality foods can save you time and trouble dealing with sick fish. Natural foods are great... just throw some fresh (uncooked... frozen ok) ocean fish/clams/squid in a blender and chop it up. Freeze it for future use. Adding a vit supplement like Selcon helps too... or at least doesn't hurt. Making your own food saves a lot of money and produces a more varied diet.

joe 09
10/23/2006, 07:59 AM
i feed small amounts 3x a day every other day,and nori 1x on the off days.

rodd1rj
10/23/2006, 09:25 AM
i feed, a small portion of frozen mysis around 11 and flakes around 5, all soaked in selcon and garlic

akrimmel
10/23/2006, 09:34 AM
treminga
good question for the thread, but that is like asking what temp do you keep your tankk at? by these threads we are able to see the norm and what is differnt than what we do ona a everyday basis.

Krazy
10/23/2006, 07:17 PM
I feed once a day M-F and sometimes I spoil them on the weekends with two feedings... but then again somedays I just skip em ...

They get fed VERY well though, I make my own food with some of the local club members (top-notch stuff :D )

t-bone2
10/23/2006, 07:34 PM
once a day every day

Andrew
10/23/2006, 07:43 PM
I feed twice a day. Pellets/flakes in the morning and frozen at night. The Koran will also eat the sheet algae I hang in the tank for him. For a treat, once or twice a week I feed cut up frozen cocktail shrimp.

demonsp
10/23/2006, 07:44 PM
I feed frozen food once nightly , i have 4 kinds of frozen i alternate and every other morning i give pettels in the morning . Feels like a good balance.I add marine snow everother day with food.But lots of hand feeding coral , some like daily some 1 time a week some everyother day.I clip nori 1 time weekly for tang and croal beuty .You kinda get to know after awile what they require.Whatching ammonia level helps me adjust amount somewhat.

ek9vboi
10/23/2006, 09:20 PM
mysis, brine, and cyclopeez everyday. i can go a day w/o it or even days if needed.

UprightJoe
10/23/2006, 10:17 PM
I feed flake once daily. I also spot feed certain corals mysis and cyclopeeze 2-3 times per week. I do some of these feedings during the day and give plenty to the fish while I'm at it.

I've actually been thinking about experimenting with culturing live food for my fish. The biggest problem would be teaching my wife to take care of the cultures when I have to travel.

jimbo045
10/24/2006, 10:05 PM
2/3 times a day. JD

old salty
10/24/2006, 10:36 PM
I have stepped up the Nori servings to twice a day (one inch by one inch) and one cube of various frozen foods (thawed) per day. Sounds like a lot, but this is for 12 fish including 2 tangs.