PDA

View Full Version : Non-aquarium safe PVC cement/primer

humptrax
10/22/2006, 11:46 AM
does one exist or are they all safe? i can't seem to find any information which would clarify the issue.

thanks.

CMcNeil
10/22/2006, 11:53 AM
none of the pvc glues i know of are aqaurium safe.what i like to do when i use pvc cement is to let it dry for days to let all the vapors go away.

ACBlinky
10/22/2006, 11:53 AM
I believe that anything safe for potable (drinking) water is considered aquarium safe. So any type of PVC, PVC primer, cement etc. that you'd use for potable water supply is fine.

jdieck
10/22/2006, 11:55 AM
PVC cement is safe once cured, same thing with the primer.

A couple of tips:

a) When you are gluing, do it in a well ventilated area

b) Keep the valves in the line open at all times

c) When applying the glue apply it to the male side of the pipe first and then just a small dab to the female part, insert and twist 1/4 turn, hold for 30 seconds to prevent it from slipping out. Applying the glue mostly to the male portion will squeeze the excess gule to the outside of the pipe rather than the inside.

d) wait at least a full 24 hours for it to completely cure, emember to keep the valves open so air can circulate inside the pipe.

e) whenever possible rinse the pipe with hot water. I also try rinsing the pipe specially on the inside before assembly. A lot of fittings and pipes come very dirty in the inside and you do not want that ending up in your aquarium.

f) when using threaded adaptors or fittings, use three turns of teflon tape on the male thread, use your nail to push the tape into the thread groves and use a small dab of TFE compound on top of the threads then screw in the fitting. This will make for a good seal on the thread. Do not overtight, the threads are conical so it will force the female to expand and may break. The break many times do not happen imediately and usually latter when you are not around :D

Good Luck with your project.

humptrax
10/22/2006, 11:55 AM
any specific brands you like to use? also, what's TFE compound?

jdieck
10/22/2006, 01:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8391585#post8391585 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by humptrax
any specific brands you like to use? also, what's TFE compound?
I have used three different brands even the hardware store's labeled brand and all work well. Just insure that it is suitable for the PVC you are using. There are some for CPVC and others for Flex PVC and for regular PVC. Use the regular one or a general purpose one for the job.
Again there are several TFE compounds, just insure it is really TFE as there are many hidrocarbon based ones.
Whle you are at it, try getting also some pure silicon plumbing grease. It is very helpful for lubricating O Rings (like for skimmers, reactors and powerheads) including suction cups.

Nano Chris
10/22/2006, 09:35 PM
I cleaned the pipes, and cemented them togather, let try for 24hrs and rinsed it a lot, to get anything off just in case.

reef_doug
10/22/2006, 09:41 PM
What's the difference between the Oatey primer and cement?
Do you use the primer first, then cement?

What is the best Oatey stuff for flexible hose in slip fittings?

What is the purple stuff that are in many pictures of tank plumbing?

Thanks
Doug

jdieck
10/23/2006, 12:08 AM
The primer is the purple stuff. it is used first to pre-soften the PVC. Looks and smells much like acetone.

After using the primer you apply the cement.

Flexible hose in slip fittings?? Are you referring to flexible PVC? I'm afraind I do not understand the question. If you are referring to flexible PVC to slip fittings there is one speciall cement, I think it is a white and blue can, the cement is blue also.

The purple stuff in the piping is the primer, the purple stuff on the rocks is coralline algae :lol: