PDA

View Full Version : Euro reef skjimmer going crazy, help

flfirefighter13
10/22/2006, 01:33 PM
Hi, Ive got a euro reef 80 that has started going nuts today. It has been skimming great with no problem. Today I went to chek and it has filled the cup with water. I unpluged it and cleaned it only to have the same issue. I pushed the tube to the bottom and it stille overflowed within 1 minute of plugging in. Any ideas?

Maximus
10/22/2006, 01:56 PM
What have you been feeding? Have you used any epoxy or other chemicals in the tank lately?

flfirefighter13
10/22/2006, 02:01 PM
feeding silversiudes to the eel and carnivore type stuff to the trigger, Nothing has been changed in well over 3 weeks when I did a water change.

Maximus
10/22/2006, 02:05 PM
Hmm, sounds weird. The only time my euro overflows is when I use epoxy or a recent water change. Are you sure you haven't added any chemicals in the tank recently?

flfirefighter13
10/22/2006, 02:12 PM
Positive, nothing has been added or subtracted. Im gonna pull it out and make sure the pump is clean, but doubtful that will fix. Ill keep you informed

raddogz
10/22/2006, 02:20 PM
It could be the food. I doubt the silver sides as they seem to be flash frozen. Gel-binders can also wreak havoc on the skimmer.

Installing a new filter sock without rinsing first (they need to be cleaned out first otherwise they just foam the water up).

flfirefighter13
10/22/2006, 02:30 PM
no filter sock. The carnivore food we use it frozen cubes but only once a week, and weve been doing it for at least 9 monthes with no problems. I just pulled the pump and cleaned it, venturi looked clear, no gunk in the impellar area either..... Im kinda stumped but I think im gonna let it run and just overflow back into the sump and see if it balances out? any other ideas of what to try?

flfirefighter13
10/28/2006, 08:30 PM
Five days later still doing the same thing everytime i plug it in, any more ideas????

sm fragman
10/28/2006, 08:37 PM
mine does that from time to time ,,try cleaning out the hole skimmer and letting it dry before you put it back into the water and try not to get you fingers all over it ,,,there has to be something in you water for the skimmer to over foam ,,or it happen when i clean the skimmer

nebraskareef
10/29/2006, 06:19 AM
it sounds like the skimmer isn't slimed up and is doing the normal thing. Let it run a few hours, I'm betting everything will be fine.

Reefologist
10/29/2006, 08:09 AM
Have you sprayed anything in the air? Something is making it go nuts. Either the venturi line is clogged or there is something in the air or water. Skimmers are simple devices, there just aren't that many things to go wrong to make one overflow. Good luck..

Reefologist
10/29/2006, 08:13 AM
You could try running some warm ro water through the venturi line while the pump is running. This will help remove any salt deposits.hope this helps..happyreefkeeping.

flfirefighter13
10/29/2006, 12:45 PM
Nothing in the air that I know of, ill aks my wife, I just pulled it out and it is soaking in RO water, Im gonna let it soak for a few hours and see what happens. If it still overflows I am going to throw my g3 in and see what it does. Thank you all for your help so far!

nebraskareef
10/29/2006, 08:03 PM
soak it in vinegar and warm water if the RO has no effect.

connecticut cichlids
10/29/2006, 08:44 PM
if your rs 80 has the air valve attached to the airline, try turning it between 1/2-3/4 quarters off the way closed....I went through a very similar situation about 3 months ago, where I had no idea what could have caused it to overflow with water...I lowered the pipe all the way down, and turned the valve almost closed... skimmer then went back to normal..over the next several days, I slowly opened the airvalve to the fully open position....and presto! still this this day, I can't figure out what caused it to do that..and I only add to two things to my tank- Cyclop-eeze, and B-ionic.

flfirefighter13
11/07/2006, 10:12 PM
well not sure why it happened but its working now, skimming wet but its working.... My "fix" was to soak it in ro water and scrub everything clean, then I ran my G3 for 4 days and when I put the euro back in it works now. Im baffled but its better now, Thanks again for all your help!