PDA

View Full Version : First Fish Suggestions?!?!

kelly630
10/22/2006, 06:37 PM
Okay, I'll be ready to add a first fish next weekend, but am unsure as to what should be my first choice! The knowledgeable LFS person suggested a chromis or a couple of them, but IMO, they are like the "comet goldfish" of marine aquariums. Also don't want to travel down the damsel route only to pull my hair out trying to remove them later!

I'd rather not waste fish space on chromis (sounds harsh, doesn't it?!?!) but I don't want to jump right into the other species of fish that I'd ultimately like to have until the tank is well established.

I'm going to tell you my "wish list" of fish. Could you please tell me what you would recommend starting with? And if it's not on this list, that's OK!!! What did you start with? What worked for you???

I have a 180gal tank, see my signature.

2 Flame Angels (okay, at least 1)
1 Powder Blue Tang
2 Yellow Tangs (okay, at least 1)
1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 Regal Angel OR 1 Emperor Angel OR 1 Majestic Angel
A pair of Melanopus Clowns
1 or 2 Royal Grammas
1 Blackcap Basslet
2 Firefish Gobies
Mandarin Dragonet (eventually)

I'm looking for colorful additions. Any hardy suggestions for starting a new tank?

dalejr_802
10/22/2006, 06:48 PM
i just want u to know that quarantining is a must even if its ur first fish on ur tank.......trust me ive been throught this and in the process of getting of the parassite on my tank still

kelly630
10/22/2006, 06:49 PM
what size QT tank would you recommend? Do I need to run a skimmer with it?

chrisstie
10/22/2006, 08:41 PM
I think in some cases the rule of thumb would be to put the most docile \peaceful in first so it can claim its terriroty and be adjusted before possible more fish enter the pic?

i'd go with a firefish or tang first I guess
I dont see it on your lest but i recommend checking out a blenny or a goby- i think firefish are actually dartfish.. if you want color and personality either should entertain you a lot.

I started with a redsea (redspotted) blenny and he's just a hambone.. not as colorful as you may want for your reef fish but he's my buddy :)

DrBegalke
10/22/2006, 10:23 PM
Something like this:

Add next - 2 Flame Angels (okay, at least 1)
Add after flame, at same time - 1 Powder Blue Tang
Add after flame, at same time 2 Yellow Tangs (okay, at least 1)
Add after flame, at same time - 1 Blue Hippo Tang
Add last - 1 Regal Angel OR 1 Emperor Angel OR 1 Majestic Angel
Add early - A pair of Melanopus Clowns
Add early - 1 or 2 Royal Grammas
Add early - 1 Blackcap Basslet
Add early - 2 Firefish Gobies
Mandarin Dragonet (eventually)

saltyfishy123
10/22/2006, 10:31 PM
Get as most as you can because its better if you put them in at the same time so get as much as you can but same some money for fish food :D