PDA

View Full Version : black background pros and cons

adtravels
10/23/2006, 03:22 AM
any one have one and what are the good points or drawbacks, ie depressing fish colors making the aquarium look smaller.

thanks.

old salty
10/23/2006, 07:08 AM
One pro is that it hides all the stuff behind the tank such as plumbing and power cords. Another is that it provides a nice contrast if you have bright colored corals.

Only con I can really think of is that is looks artificial. More so as the coralline algae grows on it.

ERICinFL
10/23/2006, 07:22 AM
I changed from blue to black and I think it brings out the colors in my tank better. It's all personal preference of course. If you haven't painted your tank yet, go buy some blue and black construction paper and see which one you like best.

adtravels
10/23/2006, 08:09 AM
just painted it black with acrylic lacquer spray paint (3 coats) looks pretty good. I claened it real well to get rid of the grease very happy.

thanks

Nem0
10/23/2006, 08:21 AM
It made my tank look more shallow than actual. After removing the black background, I see world of difference on the depth, but coral color not as intense as before. There is a tradeoff. I prefer without any background as it looks most natural

cerolost
10/23/2006, 08:42 AM
I did blue and I'm happy because my buddy did black about a week before I did. His tank did look great with black but if you don't keep up with the coraline algae it looks like crap. Basically its the same thing as a car. Black cars are sweet but a pain to keep clean. Also if you are going to go bb paint the bottom of the tank white. It is so clean looking.