PDA

View Full Version : A sick with Ick six line! help please!

george1098
10/23/2006, 05:06 AM
Hi guys
I just got a six line wrass in from a group order and he appears to have a bad case of Ick. This is actually my first experience with the disease, and I have a good idea what to do, but I thought I would ask just to be sure.
I'll put him in a QT tank for a few weeks. Should i administer copper treatment (or is that too old fashioned)?
or should I administer the low salinity treatmenst?
any other tricks?

thanks guys!

mike89t
10/23/2006, 02:58 PM
Copper or Hyposalinity are your best options.

However each must be done correctly or you will end up killing your fish.

Here is a good article to start out with:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

Tyrosinase
10/23/2006, 03:35 PM
Start soaking your food in garlic. I used Garlic Extreme. This is how I managed the ich my tangs got when I first introduced them into the tank.

george1098
10/23/2006, 03:52 PM
After doing some research, i've changed my diagnosis from ic to Brooklynella hostilis. Copper is still an option for treatment, but I have read that a freshwater dip may be just as effective. The most recomended treatment was with malechite green. I would really appreciate what yo uguys have to say about this.

Right now my plan is to:
-put the fish in a QT tank with a half dose of copper treatment (seacure)
-wait till he is a little less stressed out (probably 3-4 days) then try a fresh water dip for 15 min.
-then keep him in the QT for another week or so and see if the infection clears up.
I will also try to get my hands on some garlic stuff.

do you think this will work?

thanks guys!

BigRedDog1934
10/23/2006, 10:40 PM
let us know how it goes - i have lost two clowns to brook

george1098
10/24/2006, 06:39 AM
I lost him. Found him stick to the closed loop intake just thismorning. He must have just died rescently, like a few houres ago,because he was hardly decayed at all.

thanks anyway guys, I was told that six lines don't ship well, so if I try one again, i'll be going through the LFS.

BTTRFLYGRL
10/24/2006, 06:57 AM
Why did you decide it was Brook? Copper and freshwater dips won't do much for Brook..Formalin dips is the treatment.
Was this fish placed in a tank alone? If any other fish were with him, please keep an eye out for symptoms.

Did you read info on Velvet? [Amyloodium] Another fast killer

george1098
10/24/2006, 06:50 PM
http://www.pets-warehouse.com/marinefishdisease.htm

the simptoms described for brook were exactly what this fish had. Velvet was another possibility, but from that website brook sounded more plausable.

BTTRFLYGRL
10/24/2006, 07:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8408741#post8408741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by george1098
http://www.pets-warehouse.com/marinefishdisease.htm

the simptoms described for brook were exactly what this fish had. Velvet was another possibility, but from that website brook sounded more plausable.

Well, I skimmed down to the Brook info..And stop reading when it said to treat with Malacite green ..That won't work unless its combined with Formalin..Formalin is the treatment, best done in dips.
Though fish other than Clowns can get Brook...I would lean more towards Velvet with a Wrasse

donski
10/25/2006, 01:10 AM
Get a Uv sterilizer. I also use Kent garlic xtreme

BTTRFLYGRL
10/25/2006, 06:01 AM
A UV and Garlic won't cure Velvet or Brook

george1098
10/25/2006, 08:01 PM
I agree, and a UV won't bring my dead fish back :(

so, if I were to go out and buy all the stuff i need to put in my fish medicine cabinet, to treat any kind of alement (ick, brook, velvet, ect. )
what should a get?
currently all I have is copper and lugols.