PDA

View Full Version : using Dynamat...?

flipteg
10/23/2006, 05:43 AM
i was just wondering if it is safe to use Dynamat around the aquarium...? the aquarium is about 7 feet away from my ears when i am on my bed so i really need it to be quiet... i used Dynamat extensively inside my MH housing because the fan inside the housing is making the panels vibrate... i also used a strip of Dynamat on the back of my HOB skimmer because the Ocean Runner pump that the skimmer is using is vibrating the plastic...

i am thinking of putting a strip of Dynamat on the aquarium glass cover... sometimes, i get a rattling sound from the glass cover... the problem with this is, when the glass cover gets wet, some of the water usually spill back into the tank... i am not sure if Dynamat will leach anything into the water... is Dynamat even water proof...?

techreef
10/23/2006, 07:09 AM
I read someone else say that Dynamat blocks low frequency sound waves (like bass music) that resonate panels in your car. They made the statement that it doesn't block the hum noise of pumps in our tanks.

Another route that is water safe is the various gel/silicone mats sold online. I got some at that huge hardware/supplies vendor online. For the life of me, I can't remember their name. But putting a small piece of this gel mat under my Mag7 return pump really cut down on the vibration noise that was annoying me.

ERICinFL
10/23/2006, 07:20 AM
Check out MCM Electroincs online. I'm not sure if they're still in business, but I saved a fortune on their generic Dynamat when I used to have a large stereo (ahh, those were the days). There stuff is the exact same material and about 1/3 the price.

coryherby
10/23/2006, 11:57 AM
I had a large stereo for years in my car. As in 1500 watts big. Now 10 years later, I have constant ringing in my ears. Was not worth the price I am paying now. Just FYI to anyone that reads this. :) And no I didn't have it blasting all the time but often enough i guess. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't become worse than the annoyance it is right now.

vijaym85
10/23/2006, 12:04 PM
I used it for my 2 13w7's at about 3000w going ot them, and it worked prettty good, at preventing panels from vibrating, It is not that much of a sound trapper as it is at preventing rattling, which in turn creates a cleaner sound. It has strong adhesives to keep it in place so placement in a location where it will get wet is a bad idea, as salt water and dynamat does not sound like a good mix, for external sound dampening I think its finae but not anywhere near the water, not worth killing your stuff over a sound IMO.

rupert3k
08/12/2012, 10:35 PM
I lined my entire cabinet with Dynamat but I'm concerned about salt water corrosion.
The cabinet is sealed apart from a 230mm exhaust fan.
Will the metal layer corrode from exposure to salt inside the cabinet?