PDA

View Full Version : happy sps for 4 months now unhappy

reef10
10/23/2006, 10:45 AM
I have an millipora sps that has been in the system for ~4 months. During that time it has encrusted the base and had fine PE. I got it in a trade as a fresh cutting. Last 3 days or so it has no PE and looks unhappy. I did a WC with no effect. Eveything else looks good including other sps (acro, monticap, pocillipora, plus LPS and softies).

Question: What steps do people take in this situation. Doing things to the coral like moving it would seem to cause it more stress. Any other step that people have has luck with.

BLKTANG
10/23/2006, 10:48 AM
have u changed your flow pattern.

slojmn
10/23/2006, 03:46 PM
I immediately check my parameters first off. Usually I find alk is the suspect in my tank. Sometimes things just go south on us. I have had pieces seem to weather issues just fine and then one day everything is going along smoothly and they bleach out or RTN. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason, at least that I can figure out. I also think cumulative stressors, temp swings, alk swings, etc. can finally do in a more sensitive coral.

gary faulkner
10/23/2006, 06:59 PM
Just check all params. If all other sps are ok, you may not have a problem. Sometimes we make matters worse by trying to change a lot of things too fast. Best not to panic just yet.

HTH

good luck

reef10
10/23/2006, 08:08 PM
I have had temp swings 79-83 at the worst. This happens when the system switches over from A/C to open the windows at night. I think the humity increase causes the fans not to reduce the temp as much. I also moved the lights up to compensate. However, I have been through this for 2 weeks now. I am running carbon as a test. Is millepora considered more sensitive than monticap or tri-color acropora?