PDA

View Full Version : Adding clownfish BEFORE anemone?

ejmeier
10/23/2006, 02:25 PM
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am going for a clownfish/anemone combo in my tank, just one fish, not a pair.

I am hoping to have the clown (probably a Perc) take to whichever anemone I add to the tank, but my question is this:

If I add a clownfish to the tank before I add an anemone, will this decrease the likelihood of the clown taking to the anemone as its host?

I was thinking that the clown might very well take up residence in a cave somewhere, and thereafter be oblivious to anything else. And then once I do get around to adding the anemone, it won't care. I am in the process of upgrading my lighting, so I want to wait before I add the anemone.

And on a sidenote: can anyone recommend a good anemone thats GREEN that will have fairly good odds at hosting a percula clownfish. This is going to be in a 30g mixed reef. A green BTA perhaps?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

the3kgt2
10/23/2006, 02:26 PM
I had my clown for a good 6 months before getting my anemone. The clown took to the anemone on day 1. I wouldn't worry about a thing.

MCary
10/23/2006, 02:49 PM
It depends on whether the clowns find something else they're really attached to. My clowns' anemone died so they took up with a Galaxia. After six months I got them a new RBTA, but they refuse to move.

Mike

sir_dudeguy
10/23/2006, 02:50 PM
well seeing as theres no guarantee that the clown will even take to ANY anemone, i wouldnt worry bout it. Just get the fish whenever, and then get the anemone once the tank is stable (not within the first 3 months thas for sure) and then just hope for the best. But ya, theres no guarantee it will go for an anem even if its placed in after the anem. Mine like an aquaclear powerhead :)