PDA

View Full Version : Tunicate? ID help

kryppy
10/23/2006, 07:23 PM
Collected in the Florida keys. Any ideas?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/kr-yppy/tun.jpg

boomsticks
10/24/2006, 12:28 PM
Do they shrink or move in anyway when you touch them? Whatever they are, they are f*$%ing cool lookin.

kryppy
10/24/2006, 08:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8405900#post8405900 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boomsticks
Do they shrink or move in anyway when you touch them? Whatever they are, they are f*$%ing cool lookin.

No they don't. They just sit there like that.

This is also on the rock. It does retract when you wave your hand in front of the glass.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/kr-yppy/ukn1.jpg

Very cool rock!!

Mike4284m
10/24/2006, 09:16 PM
From Humann's "Reef Creature Identification":

Strawberry Tunicate - Eudistoma sp.

"Occasional Florida, Bahamas, Caribbean.
Inhabit reefs. Often grow in areas of dead coral and algae.
Unafraid; close siphons only when molested.
This growth form of the genus is probably an undescribed species. It is closely related and could possibly be the same as an Indo-Pacific species."

Where did you get it? I hope it lasts, it's beautiful. I'm not sure about the legaity of removing it though.

bluenassarius
10/24/2006, 09:36 PM
wow, gorgeous piece. i have a orange version of that. mines only came with 2 heads, now theres over 10. i keep it in low flow w/ lots of nutrients.

kryppy
10/25/2006, 05:55 AM
I sure feel dumb. I searched under strawberry tunicate based on my first impression and didn't find any pictures. I sure did find it on the web this morning. Thanks!

It came from a diver/collectors holding tank in the lower keys.
I saw it and asked about it, he didn't know what it was and said take it. He couldn't tell me about depth unfortunately.

I have it in low flow, high nutrient tank as well, a mostly Atlantic tank.

It sure is lovely to look at. I really hope it thrives.

boomsticks
10/25/2006, 09:10 AM
Just don't go molesting it! LOL