PDA

View Full Version : ETSS skimmer owners...please help.

krzyphsygy
10/23/2006, 08:28 PM
I replaced all the sponges in my tank 10days ago and my skimmer has not produced any foam since then. It did the same thing once before but just overflowed for awhile.

Because of that...I just rinsed the sponges for about 10 months. I new they had to be replaced so I did and now....no foam.

SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANYONE???

krzyphsygy
10/24/2006, 04:09 PM
bump

ScallopKing
10/24/2006, 05:35 PM
Not sure what sponges your're talking about but, yes, it sounds like the skimmer is breaking in again, like it did the first time it started up probably. This just actually happened to me a week ago and wouldn't foam for the whole week. Next thing you know...it's foaming like mad. I think it was caused by adding sand back into my tank. I've had this twice in the yeard of owning the skimmer. I can't remember why it did it the first time.

My guess the sponges - whatever those are - caused the skimmer to a little screwy and needs to get the proper organic levels again. HTH.

krzyphsygy
10/24/2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks...the sponges are the filter blocks. A sponge block that goes in the sump. i use them to stop the micro bubbles from comming into the tank.
So this has happened to you??? Did you readjust the skimmer???

NuclearReefs
10/24/2006, 09:46 PM
you might wanna make sure you clean out the air intakes on it.. I have a Evo 500 and I have to clean mine out .. I also replaced the hose feeding it once every three months due to build up inside it. it helps.. If the humidity gets to high in your house to it will cut back...

Do you soak your pump's impeller thats feeding the skimmer with white vinegar>?
If not,, Learn this trick ... carbonates build up on impellers.... and slows them down ..

ScallopKing
10/24/2006, 10:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8409736#post8409736 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by krzyphsygy
Thanks...the sponges are the filter blocks. A sponge block that goes in the sump. i use them to stop the micro bubbles from comming into the tank.
So this has happened to you??? Did you readjust the skimmer???

Yes, it happened to me. My foam went about 2-3" up the first part of the skimmer tower neck and that was it, seven days later or thereabouts (maybe even longer, can't quite remember) it came online. No adjustments that I did fixed it. It cleared up on it's own, though I did readjust it (being impatient) and it started overflowing when it came on again...too much adjustments. If it was foaming to your satisfaction before I would leave it where it is and wait it out. I believe that by replacing your sponges you removed some organic compounds in your water thus causing your skimmer to stop producing foam from the water it is skimming. Once it builds back up again it should start up.

NuclearReefs makes a good point about the air intakes, I've had to clean mine many times before, though that hasn't been the cause of no foam for me. Might as well clean it now since it not really skimming anyway. HTH.

Sean.

NuclearReefs
10/24/2006, 10:26 PM
Any Food i put in my tank that has oils in it kills my ETSS as well,, Cyclopeeze or any flake food that has Red in it. ETSS dont like oils in the water.. so putting your hand in the water will also kill the foam production.. thats why you should keep hands outta the tank as much as possible..

ScallopKing
10/24/2006, 10:42 PM
Ditto what NuclearReefs said, usually in these circumstances it starts producing foam withing a couple hours for me.

Good point NuclearReefs!