PDA

View Full Version : Damsels

marschgator
10/23/2006, 10:01 PM
I've got a 75 gallon "frinedly" tank that I've had up for about 8 months now and am wanting to add one more small fish. The other day I read an article in a fishy magazine making a case for damsels, saying that there are a few that aren't very aggressive. I've always heard that you pretty much should just stay away from damsels but gosh darn it, they are good looking and cheap and I want one but I don't want to upset my tank. So my question is, should I take the advice given in the magazine or should I stay away from damsels? Has anyone had any peaceful damsels and are there any species of damsels that you would recommend?

clownsntriggers
10/23/2006, 10:10 PM
I had lots of Damsels. I think they should be okay. The electric blur damsel is a little aggressive and eats everything fast. I keep one with a small yellow goby and percula clown.

No problems.

JasonLL
10/23/2006, 11:54 PM
I vote against damsels. They are agressive feeders, which could deprive slower feeders of food. They tend to be very territorial and will pick on other fish. Many grow to be much larger than they seem in the fish store.

True, they are cheep... and hardy. But they will PROBABLY get in the way eventually. And I can't imagine going through all the trouble and expense to set up and keep a salt water aquarium just to keep damsels.

mvandepeer
10/24/2006, 12:02 AM
I too vote against them..... I used a psuedochromis to get rid of a damsel... but then i'm stuck with a darn dottyback psued...

drummereef
10/24/2006, 12:09 AM
Don't do the damsels - you'll regret it later. Try some Chromis. They can be aggressive towards each other, but nothing like the damsels I've kept.

Tiki G.
10/24/2006, 05:12 AM
Finally had to trap my last Damsel. Mean little sucker. Picked on everything......No more. Have Chromis now.

jeffb3t
10/24/2006, 05:25 AM
I agree, Cromis is probably one of the better fish to add Most damsels may be calm when small but as they grow they become very territorial.

BTTRFLYGRL
10/24/2006, 05:38 AM
Mostly depends on what fish you have and what Damsel you want to keep.
I have a Blue Devil Damsel in with 2 Ocellaris Clowns, an Arc Eye Hawkfish and a Flame Angel...My Damsel in the one being bullied! He was in the tank BEFORE the Hawkfish and Flame and THEY pick on him.. If you have a 'Friendly' tank....Id probably say no too..The thing about Damsels, they need to be in tanks with tankmates that can take em;)

ccscscpc
10/24/2006, 06:19 AM
No Damsels....they are a pain. I had some and they definitly are agressive and territorial. and if you want to get rid of them ......good luck....they are small and fast as lightning.

Steven Pro
10/24/2006, 06:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8403540#post8403540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BTTRFLYGRL
Mostly depends on what fish you have Ditto. Damsels can be very territorial, but if you tank already houses a undulated Trigger, a steenei Pseudochromis, a passer Angelfish, and a sohal Tang, you already have an aggressive tank and no worries adding damsels.

LivingonLine
10/25/2006, 08:06 AM
How about a Domino with 2 clowns? Think the clowns would hold their own???

Steven Pro
10/25/2006, 08:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8411839#post8411839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LivingonLine
How about a Domino with 2 clowns? Think the clowns would hold their own??? Depends on the clowns. Maroon, Tomato, Cinnamon, and many in the Clarki complex are tough, but Percula, Ocellaris, and the various skunks are less assertive. Plus, all will be eventually outgrown by a Domino. It would certainly be better if the clownfish were introduced first, but still there are no guarantees.

Divetime
10/25/2006, 02:40 PM
I'm with the others...Don't get one. I've had many damsels over the years simply because there cheap and colorful. The things eventually kill everythin in the tank so that's the only fishy left :uzi:

I have one now that is getting ready to be returned to nature "The Gulf of Mexico" :lol2: Maybe he'll have a chance out there & I'll sleep better knowing I didn't flush him :D

Steven Pro
10/26/2006, 06:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8414172#post8414172 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Divetime
I have one now that is getting ready to be returned to nature "The Gulf of Mexico" :lol2: Maybe he'll have a chance out there & I'll sleep better knowing I didn't flush him :D Please do not release any fish that has ever been in captivity. Even if that fish came from the Gulf, it has undoubtedly been exposed to things that have not (fish from other oceans, liverock, corals, invertebrates, etc.). This exposure could make this damsel a carrier for some non-native disease which could be devastating.