PDA

View Full Version : Emperor Angelfish Mates!

liquidfx99
10/24/2006, 03:06 AM
Hi, I have a all fish marine tank and I was looking to buy a Emperor Angelfish, however how compatable are they with outher fish and do they eat live rock corals etc. What is there diet and behavior like to other tank mates.

If so would they be best suited to a fish only tank.

Any info on this fish would help me alot.

Cheers

LiquidFX99

jnc914
10/24/2006, 09:02 AM
I just recently lost my Emp. Angel to a nasty outbreak of ich in my tank. If you don't want it to attack your coral (Especially SPS), start with a small juvenile. The only issue with that is as the juvenile goes through the color maturity, the color is not as vibrant as an adult caught in the wild. Also I kept mine in a Fish only with three tangs, which I think lead to its demise. The Emp. needs to be the dominate fish in the tank. Mine was harrassed by a Sailfin and Powder Brown. At the same time he would go after the Naso, the most docile of the three tangs. They can get mean and usually grunt loudly when they are not happy.

In regards to successfully keeping one in the long term, your water parameters and water quality must be perfect. Absolutely no fluctuations in PH, as they are easily stressed by changing water parameters.

I love these fish and will eventually try one again, this time an adult.

Good luck.

jnc914
10/24/2006, 09:06 AM
Also diet needs to consist of Spiraluna, algae on a clip, and most importantly sponge. Hikari Frozen foods makes a special Angel Diet that you could buy, but also check for live sponge at the LFS for them to snack on. Thet also should be fed more than once a day. They eat like pigs but need the balanced nutrition.

jda
10/24/2006, 11:08 AM
I have had no issues with my several emps. I do get them as juvis and raise them up. If you feed them a varied diet with lots of different meats as well as some seafood, then the color change goes fine.

I have had 3 and none of them have ever eaten any coral. However, many hobbists have had them eat coral, so they are ceritanly a risk. Because of this, and their ability to eat a LOT of food, they do make better a better Fish Only specimin IMO.

They are good tankmates too. I hear that they get more agressive at 6+ inches, but I cannot keep them that long and give them away when they hit 4-5".

liquidfx99
10/25/2006, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the info. Can you grow Spiraluna, algae in good supply?