PDA

View Full Version : over 100 Bristle Worms

CPINKLEY21
10/24/2006, 07:16 AM
Bristle worms,
I was wanted to get something to help control the bristle worms in my tank. When I feed my fish I can count over 100 of them and I think that is just too many. I wanted to see if any one has I arrow crab to how it does in a reef tank. My biggest consider is that I have I peppermint shrimp, do you think they would get along ok?

sir_dudeguy
10/24/2006, 07:51 AM
i dont really see why you want to get rid of the bristle worms as they're good for the tank, but if you do i dont know if i'd try an arrow crab. I think they're safe with corals but i've heard that they'll go after stuff like your peppermint and other crabs/snails.

gillies
10/24/2006, 07:52 AM
Feed less and leave them alone.

zedman
10/24/2006, 08:09 AM
I agree with gillies, also their population density is pretty much dependent on how much food is available. I would take out the really big ones with twizers.

Zed

CPINKLEY21
10/24/2006, 09:28 AM
I ONLY FEED ONE TIME DAYLY VERY LITTLE. THEY ARE GOOD FOR THE TANK BUT AT THIS POINT I HAVE SO MANY I CAN NOT COUNT THEM ALL. THEY ARE IN THE LR, AND CC, I DON'T THINK YOU UNDER STAND HOW MANY I'M TALKING ABOUT.

kiknchikn
10/24/2006, 09:32 AM
Take a pic of them to show us then? =P

ACBlinky
10/24/2006, 10:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8404651#post8404651 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CPINKLEY21
I ONLY FEED ONE TIME DAYLY VERY LITTLE. THEY ARE GOOD FOR THE TANK BUT AT THIS POINT I HAVE SO MANY I CAN NOT COUNT THEM ALL. THEY ARE IN THE LR, AND CC, I DON'T THINK YOU UNDER STAND HOW MANY I'M TALKING ABOUT. No need to shout! ;)

The worm population will fluctuate with the amount you're feeding (they're feeding on the food itself as well as extra poop/detritus that results from overfeeding) I wouldn't get an arrow crab or other worm-eating animal, just rely on manual removal and feeding less to control their current numbers; the population will eventually settle at a lower number if you reduce the amount of available food.

familyreefer
10/24/2006, 10:31 AM
I know what you mean. I had what seemed like millions. It was digusting to view the tank. Even non hobbiest guest at my home would get freaked out. I started picking them out one by one untill I now only see a few now and then. I say for every one you see there are at least ten you don't. It took me about a year but now they are at tolerable levels. As far as being good for the tank....Draino is good for clogs but you wouldn't want to soak your pipes in it!

Shagsbeard
10/24/2006, 10:42 AM
Sell them... start a business. Hobbyists want them. Fishermen want them.

There are bristle worm traps available, and they'll help you harvest them. I'd buy a dozen off you if you were close by. Your LFS might give you some store credit if you caught them... they might even lend you a trap to catch them.

CPINKLEY21
10/24/2006, 11:02 AM
familyreefer

Thank you for you info

TekCat
10/24/2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah! Send me some! :)

sir_dudeguy
10/24/2006, 02:10 PM
I DON'T THINK YOU UNDER STAND HOW MANY I'M TALKING ABOUT.

trust me, we all DO know how many you're talking about, as just about every tank has hundreds of them.

No need to shout! :)
agreed :)

But like the others said, if you really want them out then get one of those traps. Some will say sixline wrasses eat them but i never saw my sixline eat a single one tho i've got a ton of them all the time.

luke30mm
10/25/2006, 08:50 AM
Ill take some pm me if your interested

2fishy
10/25/2006, 09:02 AM
You all can have the one really big one that is hanging out on my sargassum at night! Ewww!;) If you have some that are too big to fit into a trap you can always try putting food into some pantyhose. Their bristles get stuck to it. Just don't touch them with your bare hands!:D

onecrzyboi4u
10/25/2006, 09:11 AM
I'll take some if you don't want them.. but if you don't want them.. then heres something you can do.

Get a womans stocking. put food in the stocking to make a ball.. then place in the tank over night. in the morning take the stocking out and throw out..

zedman
10/25/2006, 09:16 AM
I pulled a big one out with my fingers and the next day they were numb(my fingers)

Zed

yakfishin
10/25/2006, 09:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8412288#post8412288 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zedman
I pulled a big one out with my fingers and the next day they were numb(my fingers)

Zed

Why would you do a thing like that??:D

boomsticks
10/25/2006, 12:49 PM
I was rearanging my rock and had about four or five (lost count due to pain) crawling down my wrist! Man, the next day my whole hand was burning. I find that they also make a good substitute for chicken.

2swift
10/25/2006, 12:59 PM
Does the stocking thing really work?
I've just been sucking the big ones out with a turky baster with a 1/2
hose on the end.

hwyman
10/25/2006, 07:04 PM
buy some of my chaeto and you can have a ton......