PDA

View Full Version : Food suggestion for a Potter's

mwsmith15
10/24/2006, 05:33 PM
Hey all. I have recently added a Potter's Angel to my tank. It has been only 2 days, but she won't eat. I see here grazing all over, but I have little to no algae in the tank.I am trying Formula 2, Spectrum Thera +A, and nori. Any suggestions on a good food it would likely eat?

SaltyMember
10/24/2006, 06:50 PM
try putting some nori algae in the tank to let the angel graze. My coral beauty was reluctant to eat at first and I started by rubber banding nori to a piece of rubble rock. They are grazers and like to eat small amounts throughout the day if possible. After a few days my angel started taking mysis shrimp. After a couple of weeks the angel is eating pretty much everything. Give it a little time.

Chelsey
10/24/2006, 07:23 PM
mysis and brine would be worth a shot too. Potters are notoriously hard to keep. I had one that was eating flake like a damsel and one morning it was dead, no signs of parasites or anything! I got another one from Phishy business, another flake eater, and when I got him he didn't touch flake. He's eagerly taking mysis now and will be switched over to other foods soon :) Best of luck to you, Potters are gorgeous fish but SO hard!

donski
10/25/2006, 12:12 AM
Try soaking the food in Kent garlic xtreme ( Or another garlic food additive) . the fact that your fish is grazing is a good sign. I had a potters for over 3 years ( so long I'm not sure how long I had him). He was a pig.... would eat anything. If you get one to eat they are not difficult to keep.( I know that sounds pretty obvious but some fish are just sensitive to everything and are an accident waiting to happen. I don't think a potters are like that) Good luck

Gundo5000
10/25/2006, 12:39 AM
Get angel formula with garlic made by formula one. Mine loved it back in the day.

mwsmith15
10/25/2006, 06:45 AM
I am using formula 2 right now and she hasn't taken to it. I am going to wait and see what happens. I need more algae in my tank ( never thought I would say that ) as all my rocks are clean. I think I am going to start putting some macro from my refugium into the display to she if she will munch on it. Thanks for all the good suggestions.

mwsmith15
10/25/2006, 05:28 PM
Ok, she was purchased on Sunday. Still no eating. I cant get to her tonight until after lights out. She still wants to eat, due to the constant grazing, just no prepared foods. And, since I have no algae, I am worried. So, I am going to grab some macro from refugium tomorrow morning and see if it disappears throughout the night. If that doesn't work, I am unsure what tod do. Most likely take her back to the LFS.

dippin61
10/25/2006, 05:52 PM
oi.. a potters thread.. they have been known to be notriously hard to keep. both that i have tried to keep, have both died. with no problems what so ever with any other fish.

do research and decide if you still want to keep him, i read somewhere reputable, that potters attrition rate is nearly 90%. meaning 90% of potters dont make it in home aquaria.

but id try some nori dipped in selcon, cyclopeeze, mysis, anything that might perk his interest to feed.

mwsmith15
10/26/2006, 06:42 AM
Well, macro is in, will wait and see after I get home from work. I did, however, notice that she has some white discoloration near her back end. Bah, more trouble. Need to setup a hospital tank if it gets any worse.

Amphiprion
10/26/2006, 06:54 AM
I know it may be hard to stand, but try allowing some algae to grow on your glass. If you give it enough time, then you should have a small crop of filamentous algae, which is perfect for this species. Of course, this is in addition to good, aged live rock with various encrusting benthic organisms. Also, the sooner it begins to accept food, the better off it will be.

dippin61
10/26/2006, 11:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8418397#post8418397 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mwsmith15
Well, macro is in, will wait and see after I get home from work. I did, however, notice that she has some white discoloration near her back end. Bah, more trouble. Need to setup a hospital tank if it gets any worse.

thats how it always started with mine too, white dicoloration, hard breathing, dead potters.. /sad

good luck

mwsmith15
10/26/2006, 02:28 PM
Well, I am about to leave the office for the night. Hopefully I get home and the macro is gone, the whitespot has disappeared, and she is standing on a rock talking talking to me. I know it is a lot to ask for but the first 2 might happen right? I can hope anyway.

RichConley
10/26/2006, 02:39 PM
its almost impossible to keep these things without some algae in the tank. they NEED to be able to graze.

try rubberbanding some nori to a rock.

mwsmith15
10/26/2006, 03:55 PM
Well, I am home. Doesn't look like any macro has been eaten. I had left som dried seaweed clipped to the side of the tank, it is still there. Ia m going to try to get some live brine. I don't know what else to do.

mwsmith15
10/29/2006, 09:27 AM
***UPDATE****

She eats!!! I have some frozen angel feed and bought a piece of lr covered in algae. She now eats it and takes the frozen. The white fungal area looks to be getting better as well. Cleaner added to try to help.

SaltyMember
10/29/2006, 07:30 PM
That's good news. Thanks for updating us.