PDA

View Full Version : Don't burst Bubble algae? Fact or fiction

iamwhatiam52
10/24/2006, 09:52 PM
Despite admonishments not to do so I've been popping my bubble algae.

I do NOT see it sprouting new ones from the base, and though there are always a few in the tank, after 6 months there are still none on the original rock that sprouted dozens to start the problem.

What has everyone elses experience been?

Sk8r
10/24/2006, 11:40 PM
Personally, I think that if you've got an urchin that moves them or an emerald crab that eats them, some are going to break---100% of them in the case of the crab, since I can't feature him eating whole ones. I've broken no few: I have some. My urchin wears them for a fashion statement. But I don't imho have any more than I'd have if I'd been more careful---I think it's just a phase the tank goes through.

jdieck
10/24/2006, 11:55 PM
I have always burst them when removing them and really they do not proliferate. I think it is due to three posibilities, My Kole tank gets at them. If burst when they are young the spores are not mature enough to proliferate. My UV unit keeps the spores from reproducing.

iamwhatiam52
10/25/2006, 12:32 AM
Thanks.

I have a Diadema that does not eat them, and I've tried emerald crabs but they prefer other food, so I will continue to remove them by hand.

If they pop, they pop!

t-bone2
10/25/2006, 05:26 AM

t-bone2
10/25/2006, 05:26 AM
more like hit or miss mine havent spread so far