PDA

View Full Version : Article on UofMD breeding study

MperRluvR
10/25/2006, 01:40 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/11/AR2006101100755.html

"Since a clownfish smaller than a poker chip can bring $6 or more wholesale, the U.S. Department of Agriculture has given the two institutions more than $150,000 in grants to find ways to make raising the fish easier."

Thought the article was interesting, what are your takes.
They didn't really mention anything 'breakthrough' in my opinion though. Seems like if you had $150,000 to study it you'd come up with something better than that.

Kathy55g
10/25/2006, 02:56 PM
Give me $150K, and I'll put them on the right track! Why didn't they just ask us?

FishGuttz
10/25/2006, 03:08 PM
Calling these fish Nemo is the equivalent of calling gorillas "king kongs". You can be sure the public will have a skewed view of the variety and complexity of these fish, seeing them more as cartoon characters to be exploited than live animals to be protected. Is this researcher aware of ORA or Martin Moe or Frank Marini or Wilkerson or Hoff? Hasn't this all been done already. How about giving 150k to find ways to make it harder to import WC fish!

SueQ
10/25/2006, 04:39 PM
My $0.02.... After doing my thesis work trying to raise snapper, and finding this site, No there isn't sufficient communication between ornamental aquaculturists and academic researchers. But how can they? The ornamental folks don't publish for fear that someone will take their idea and make a buck off of it. Academics, well, that's just how it works. You publish it for all to use.
If I knew a fraction of the stuff I've found out recently by reading this forum, I would've saved myself a lot of headaches!!

MperRluvR
10/25/2006, 05:03 PM
exactly what i was thinking, hasn't this already been done?

seems like gov't money going to a pointless cause, but at least they are trying to save our reefs (although i felt like they were doing it for the money)

billsreef
10/25/2006, 07:51 PM
I could see that if it was a species that hasn't been in culture for well over 2 decades and has chapters on raising them in several books. Not to mention a couple of books that have been written on nothing but rearing clownfish. Hmm, perhaps I need to try and get my own grant :D

Kathy55g
10/25/2006, 07:57 PM
I think they should give me their grant, because I raised more clownfish than they did in 6 months, and I did it much more cheaply. I'll be happy to share my secrets.

Kathy55g
10/25/2006, 07:57 PM
Secret #1:

Read what's out there. :D